Ideal steel split size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babaganoosh

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2014
NJ
I'll be getting the ideal steel hybrid in the next month or so. All my wood now is cut to 16. I've read that it takes 22 max. To me that means cut to 20 or are the 22 inch pieces easy to get in there?

I think I read to cut to 18 for north/south so maybe just cut to 18 and call it good?

Also any one know if I should split them on the larger side or just go with the standard mix of medium with some big and small?

Better get the glue out.. lol but in all seriousness I like to float around the 16" - 18" anything bigger and you have to load exactly / carefully, if you burning mixed wood types or have knots in some pieces they can burn at a different rate so when you reload you may have some chunks left in the firebox, If all the lengths are the same and to the max you may not be able to fit a full load in there, you def want so room to work with smaller lengths.

I think I'm going to start cutting to 18. I'd like to cut to 20 but that just seems huge for some reason. Apparently it's not since the stove can take 22, maybe I'm just resistant to change.

if it has a glass door and you're loading N/S you'd rather not have ends up close to the glass, if it will take 22", 18" may be prime....and No risk of breaking the glass.. I can do 22" but am cutting 18" just for that reason...

22" Fits fine east and west.

For north and south, you want to stay 18" or smaller to clear the andirons. Once you get above them its not as critical.

Last winter I found the stove seems to burn a little more complete when burning north and south. East and west seemed to cause more coal build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.