Ideal Steel stove pipe clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I decided to give the double wall pipe a clean while the temps were up.

To my suprise, there was nothing to clean. No build up whatsoever. Just a very light coating of black soot. I have been burning 1 year cherry on very low overnight settings. I guess the cat does a pretty decent job.

My Quad always had some build up. That was single wall pipe.

I was searching through threads & have a question for you on this- did you need an adapter from the stove to the double-wall pipe, or does the Ideal Steel take double wall? Trying to sort out whether i'm going to use double or single wall stove pipe. i have the clearance for single, but was curious

Double-wall connector will keep the flue gases hotter. That helps keep the flue cleaner.

Given the low flue temps of this efficient stove I would definitely go with double wall. I didn't order anything specific. I went to lowes and bought a Selkirk double wall stove pipe kit. It fit with no issues.

thanks for the reply. yeah - i've decided to go with double wall, i just wasn't sure how it connected at the collar. i have a 36" section of Selkirk double wall, so I was going to use that. I think i'll have about 41-42" of length to cover & I know Selkirk has a 6in flue collar piece. if that worked on the IS, then i'd be all set. I know woodstock has pipe so i'll maybe just pick some up when i get the stove on Sat. Hope to get some pics of the stove up this weekend along with the hearth pad build i did.

Reactions: JA600L
Status
Not open for further replies.