Ideal Steel update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
There is good info in this thread
Now back to our regularly scheduled program:

Ideal Steel Update...

Reactions: alforit
Please know that I am still very satisfied with this stove. Anything that warped can be removed, replaced, or straightened. I will be straightening everything for now. The last thing I want to do is take them away from their backlogged production when my stove is fully functional. Once the burning season is over I will catch up with them on what is still an issue.

I just got home from work. It's been 12 hours since I looked at the stove. I loaded it 3/4 full with medium ash splits this morning.
Temps were in the low 40s today and there is plenty of charcoal logs still in there so I'm just going to turn the air up a bit and leave it alone. I might even wait till I load it for the night.

Reactions: alforit
Please know that I am still very satisfied with this stove. Anything that warped can be removed, replaced, or straightened. I will be straightening everything for now. The last thing I want to do is take them away from their backlogged production when my stove is fully functional. Once the burning season is over I will catch up with them on what is still an issue.

I just got home from work. It's been 12 hours since I looked at the stove. I loaded it 3/4 full with medium ash splits this morning.
Temps were in the low 40s today and there is plenty of charcoal logs still in there so I'm just going to turn the air up a bit and leave it alone. I might even wait till I load it for the night.

Don't worry about reporting the bad.......Both sides are needed with transparency to get the full picture. Its nice to see that you are being fully truthful.

Gotta love that Ash... Great burning wood.:)

Honestly, this is one of those stoves where if you just leave it alone it will continue to release heat for a long time. My instinct is to mess with it. I want to open the door and rake things or whatever.
After you open the door the temperatures start falling. If you leave it alone it will go much longer then you would think.
I'm expecting to get 24 hour burns in the spring shoulder season. With good hard wood it really should be fine. Even softwood would probably go a long time. Towards the end of the coaling it won't make a lot of heat but I think my house is insulated enough to maintain it.
As I've mentioned before, I have run this stove with the air fully closed with out smoke. It's always been too cold to try it for long, but with 40 degree temps and a load of dry oak I bet it would go for a very long time. The problem is nobody wants to burn their best woods for shoulder season.

Honestly, this is one of those stoves where if you just leave it alone it will continue to release heat for a long time. My instinct is to mess with it. I want to open the door and rake things or whatever.
After you open the door the temperatures start falling. If you leave it alone it will go much longer then you would think.
I'm expecting to get 24 hour burns in the spring shoulder season. With good hard wood it really should be fine. Even softwood would probably go a long time. Towards the end of the coaling it won't make a lot of heat but I think my house is insulated enough to maintain it.
As I've mentioned before, I have run this stove with the air fully closed with out smoke. It's always been too cold to try it for long, but with 40 degree temps and a load of dry oak I bet it would go for a very long time. The problem is nobody wants to burn their best woods for shoulder season.

That's awesome ....Would be intrigued to know if you can get those 24 hour burns in the shoulder sesason. I have found that the douglas fir gives me the longest burns in my BK Ashford. Don't know why because its a softwood. And I have burned oak and ash and madrone in it.

Reactions: Beldin
That's awesome ....Would be intrigued to know if you can get those 24 hour burns in the shoulder sesason. I have found that the douglas fir gives me the longest burns in my BK Ashford. Don't know why because its a softwood. And I have burned oak and ash and madrone in it.

You think it's because the douglas fir is a fast, hot burner so it gets the cat up to the ideal temp therefore restricting air flow? Let me know if I need to stop my SWAGs

If they could only Frankenstein the IS and slap on BKs automatic thermometer controlled thingy their stove would be the uncontested champ.

If they could only Frankenstein the IS and slap on BKs automatic thermometer controlled thingy their stove would be the uncontested champ

From the look of things I think the Bi metallic coil could be on the horizon for Woodstock stoves.

You think it's because the douglas fir is a fast, hot burner so it gets the cat up to the ideal temp therefore restricting air flow?

I have no idea. Could be . When it comes to these cat stove there are so many changing variables in motion its hard to get a sure reference point sometimes.

My simple stove likes doug fir too. But when I want extra heat and long burn times, locust is the champ. Madrona is pretty good too.

Last edited:
From the look of things I think the Bi metallic coil could be on the horizon for Woodstock stoves.

I have no idea. Could be . When it comes to these cat stove there are so many changing variables in motion its hard to get a sure reference point sometimes.

Oh, you're right. That's what @JA600L meant when he mentioned that on the soon to be released new Woodstock stove thread. I had no idea what he was talking about. Sadly the new stove will be smaller than the IS though. My dream almost came true.

Reactions: JA600L
I don't think I want that bimettalic coil. This stove does perfectly fine without it. Infact, in cold weather I think it performs better without it. I'm sure if it was the best way to go Woodstock would have put it on.

I'm like others who when temps get high enough my heat pump will run for next to nothing. Why waste valuable firewood?

My heat pump has not kicked on once all winter. I leave it set at 65. Even when I am away from the stove 12 hours.

Anyone know what the warranty is for Woodstock stoves? Tried to find it on their website but found nothing. I do have one gripe about Woodstock so far, their website. It just doesn't have the look of a company site, more like a second party that sells the model.

I don't think I want that bimettalic coil. This stove does perfectly fine without it. Infact, in cold weather I think it performs better without it. I'm sure if it was the best way to go Woodstock would have put it on.

The PH has a bimetallic damper. My guess this will be a refinement of that concept in a steel box.

ne know what the warranty is for Woodstock stoves? Tried to find it on their website but found nothing. I do have one gripe about Woodstock so far, their website. It just doesn't have the look of a company site, more like a second party that sells the model.
I know they have a 6 month buy back guarantee if you are unsatisfied and I know that are great about sending replacement parts if there are issues for their newer stoves.

Would be intrigued to know if you can get those 24 hour burns in the shoulder sesason
I installed the IS in August. During shoulder season I was burning some punky ash and was loading every 24 hours with plenty of coals. I pushed that to ~30 hours a few times with plenty of coals to start the next load.

I know they have a 6 month buy back guarantee if you are unsatisfied and I know that are great about sending replacement parts if there are issues for their newer stoves.

I installed the IS in August. During shoulder season I was burning some punky ash and was loading every 24 hours with plenty of coals. I pushed that to ~30 hours a few times with plenty of coals to start the next load.

So when you bought your stove, nothing in writing was sent with it detailing the warranty policy besides the 6 month buy back?

So when you bought your stove, nothing in writing was sent with it detailing the warranty policy besides the 6 month buy back?
That is correct. With that being said, I have heard plenty of stories about Woodstock standing behind their products years down the road. I would imagine if you called them after something broke and it is clear it was through normal use, they would be willing to discuss replacing it. I know they have also sent new parts out to folks who bought stoves prior to a design change. I would call them if you would like more details on how they handle issues after 6 months.

Anyone know what the warranty is for Woodstock stoves? Tried to find it on their website but found nothing. I do have one gripe about Woodstock so far, their website. It just doesn't have the look of a company site, more like a second party that sells the model.
You're right.....they do need to improve the website. I know they are very busy, but that is no excuse if you're selling direct to the public. They need to step it up a notch and bring in a professional web designer.

That is correct. With that being said, I have heard plenty of stories about Woodstock standing behind their products years down the road. I would imagine if you called them after something broke and it is clear it was through normal use, they would be willing to discuss replacing it. I know they have also sent new parts out to folks who bought stoves prior to a design change. I would call them if you would like more details on how they handle issues after 6 months.
That happened to me with the PH. I bought the early model and they sent me a new cat and cooktop about a year later when they improved the design because of some issues. It was sent free of charge.

Besides the 6 month return policy, I believe the cat has a 3 year warranty. I will check my manual to see if anything else is mentioned.

Reactions: ambull01

Seems weird but great. I think I will call them.

You're right.....they do need to improve the website. I know they are very busy, but that is no excuse if you're selling direct to the public. They need to step it up a notch and bring in a professional web designer.

Yeah it's just really disorganized IMO. Almost looks like one of those scam sites. Click on Live Chat and download a virus. I think changing their site address would help too. If I'm going to send a company a couple thousand dollars I want to make sure they're legit. Having a real generic site called woodstove.com doesn't fill me with confidence.

Seems weird but great. I think I will call them.

Yeah it's just really disorganized IMO. Almost looks like one of those scam sites. Click on Live Chat and download a virus. I think changing their site address would help too. If I'm going to send a company a couple thousand dollars I want to make sure they're legit. Having a real generic site called woodstove.com doesn't fill me with confidence.
I had similar thoughts. Once I called them, I realized they had their crap together and were genuinely interested in my concerns/questions, it seemed like a no brainer. I immediately trusted them.

Reactions: Tenn Dave
OK, I just checked my PH manual. The very 1st. page after the cover gives the warranty info. There is the 6 month buy back, 2 years on the cat for any defect in workmanship and/or material and 3 years for any deterioration in cat stainless steel substrate material, and a 1 year replacement warranty for any other part of the stove that is defective due to material or workmanship. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
There is a ton of information on the site, but at times it needs to be updated and organized a bit better. And if you are going to have a blog, keep it current.

I had similar thoughts. Once I called them, I realized they had their crap together and were genuinely interested in my concerns/questions, it seemed like a no brainer. I immediately trusted them.

Yeah I trust them as a legit company from all the posts I've read here. But, if I was visiting their site for the first time having never heard of them before it would be a No Go.

OK, I just checked my PH manual. The very 1st. page after the cover gives the warranty info. There is the 6 month buy back, 2 years on the cat for any defect in workmanship and/or material plus an additional 3 years for any deterioration in cat stainless steel substrate material, and a 1 year replacement warranty for any other part of the stove that is defective due to material or workmanship. Hope that helps.

Nice, thanks! Sounds like a great warranty to me. I'm totally sold now.

here is a ton of information on the site, but at times it needs to be updated and organized a bit better. And if you are going to have a blog, keep it current.

Yes there is a lot of info. May just be one of the downsides of dealing with a really small company. There's more positives than negatives it seems but I would think their primary means of advertising is word of mouth. Customer goes to the site and is greeted by something that looks like really amateurish. Anyway, don't mean to knock it too much, that just really caught my attention. I do love the fact most/all the employees will have a vested interest in pleasing you as a customer should you call/have a concern. That's not very common these days with the predominance of massive companies.

Nice......We're you still getting useable heat from the stove and was it maintaining temps in the house up to the point of reload ?

Status
Not open for further replies.