Ideal time between firings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDolz

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2015
Burlington, CT
I've been over on the wood boiler forum posting some threads on heating with low flow (design) temp water. I found that I can heat my house with incredibly low design temps and after rereading my Triangle Tube Condensing boiler manual I found that it is designed to work the same way. I reset the heat curve so that the design temp matches the profile of that of my wood boiler. Once I did that I had the issue of the boiler firing on and off every minute or so. The reason for this is because I am using a design temp that is around 110F and the result is that the return water is almost the same temp (maybe 106 - 108F) and a minute of firing gets it back to Design and the boiler shuts off. Using such low Design temps results in my zones constantly calling for heat so it is not a question of no load demand. The boiler also has the ability to set a minimum time between firings. I have currently set it to 5 minutes which causes the return water temp to drop a bit more so the boiler fires for about 2.5 minutes and the minimum control keep it off for 5 minutes. I have no idea if this is good or bad and am wondering if someone is familiar with ideal length of firing time as well as ideal amount of time between firings (it is a modulating boiler so it is at its lowest setting when it is firing). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.