Ideas for a small fireplace opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwoods

Oct 27, 2014
Duluth Minnesota
Hello!
First post here, I'm just looking for advice on what options I may have for fitting a wood burning insert or free standing stove inside a fireplace opening that is 22"w x 27"h x 18"d. I've searched all over the internet and this forum and so far don't have any options. My house is 1,400 sq. ft., two story 1920's house with a central fireplace in the living room. This would be a supplemental heat source to our oil fired boiler and old cast iron radiators. Thanks for any ideas you may have!

photo-21.JPG

Last edited:
For all that brick that is a small fireplace. I like the idea of a Woodstock stove there.

That central location is ideal and the masonry will be nice in soaking up the heat and radiating off later. The suggestions above sound good for your area especially if it's only supplementary. Depending on the tightness and insulation value of the house, a well chosen stove may surprise you at how well it performs.

I think your best bet, and probably only bet is to put a rear vent free stander, don't think there' any inserts for that odd opening, usually it wider than higher. Check the clearance needed for the Woodstocks mentioned above, I think you can fit either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.