Ideas for bundling kindling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
When we limb a fallen or felled tree we always try to make use of the smaller branches for kindling.
The challenge for us is how to deal with all those small pieces efficiently.
I'm wondering how others handle this?

I thinking of creating foot diameter bundles and then binding them with twine and wondered if anyone had tried this or has a better way. I've also thought of using study cardboard boxes or 5 gal buckets.

I've done similar with 12 pack pop boxes. It's nice cause you can throw the whole thing in. I go through alot of pop though.

I'm lucky in the fact that I have access to a bunch of these plastic crates.
IMG_1962 (2).jpg

Reactions: Fred Wright
Well, I ended up doing this for now.
I had a 5 gal. bucket that I'd cut the bottom our of to use for cat toilet training (don't ask) so I used it to hold the wood while I tied up each end using a bowline loop and a truckers hitch so I could cinch down better.
Its worked out okay but I'd like find an easier way. I like the ideas posted and will try the pop box idea when I get a box.
Unfortunately, I don't have a supply of the boxes that Butcher does. Wish I did.

Attachments

• IMG_20140907_123800_483.jpg
    IMG_20140907_123800_483.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20140907_123608_930.jpg
    IMG_20140907_123608_930.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 126
We store kindling in plastic carry totes near the stove with the splits. Just me but I call any branch I can break by hand kindling. If it has to be cut, we call it starter wood. It all goes in the totes.

What we do is drag a pile of dry branches near the woodpile and break off kindling as needed. One tote full usually lasts a week or so. When it's empty I'll take it to the branch pile and fill it. The larger stuff I can't break by hand gets cut up with a limbing saw and goes in another tote for starter wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.