Ideas For Moving Rounds Around Yard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I do have a cone that I made out of metal. It's just ok, but obviously a beta version. It's round, a little cumbersome, and doesn't work quite as well on the logs over 15" or so. Probably should just buy the plastic one and be done with it. Most times I just knock off the log edges with my Stihl log sharpener. It helps.
Yeah, I built that tree/pole bracket after using the strap a couple of times.

Reactions: peakbagger
Due to old age and medical limitations I am no longer able to process logs or rounds. I now have to buy my wood c/s. This is how I move it between my shed and the house. Each box load lasts 3-4 days. I back up to my raised patio deck and roll it off. It has heavy duty casters on it so it rolls really easy.

IMG_0357.JPG

Smart idea @rottiman. Can you tell me a little bit about that utility vehicle? Make? Is that a forklift on the back? I'm looking for a good UTV with a plow. I'm approaching 66 and it's time to look at something like this. Thanks.
Not a UTV. Kubota BX 2680 sub compact tractor 26 hp 4wd hydro static trans. Rear lift is a 3ph

IMG_0360.JPG IMG_0359.JPG

This one works pretty good

PA040282.JPG

And these two combined even better
PB010288.JPG

I finally got around to moving some rounds I had delivered about a month ago. I’ve been using a heavy duty hand truck with pneumatic tires. I’ll stand the rounds up and get the hand truck under them. Then I jam an axe on the top outer edge of the round to help get some leverage as until the hand truck back. I push the hand truck with one hand while the other hand is holding the axe handle keeping the round stable.

I bought an old barrel dolly on Craigslist

They're designed to lift and move 55-gallon barrels around a warehouse. I replaced the hard wheels with wheelbarrow tires and added a metal brace between the hooks to secure the rounds

I shuffle the round onto the hooks then tip the dolly upright, using a pickaroon when necessary. Then it rolls like a wheelbarrow around the yard. When I reach the splitter, I tilt it back down and the table height is just about right to roll the log from the dolly to the splitter
IMG_0406.JPG