Ideas/help .......moving a Woodstock Progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
so some ideas on how to move a new Progress Hybrid in....
Thinking of getting a appliance hand truck?
Taking it apart?
So have a couple of ideas but wanted some more...Thanks

Nylon lifting slings and a tractor....[emoji6]
uploadfromtaptalk1431574422284.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you got the progress and the pic is the IS but a pulled what we could out out of it and hand trucked it the rest of the way in. That meant no fenders, ash pan, cook top, cat radiator, cat, bottom fire bricks, ash pan grate....I think that's all

Beer + pizza + friends = Moved stove

Reactions: chance04
Make that friends -> move stove, then beer + pizza for the best outcome. :) Wheels or rollers will make the job a lot easier. A heavy duty appliance dolly with a ratchet strap can help a lot.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I've been able to move several stoves by having a doorway that was level with the back of a truck, like off of a back porch or something. Back the truck up and build a ramp with boards. Once the stove is at the doorway, I've used a furniture dolly as mentioned above. Another, I put on a piece of carpet and pulled it along a wood floor while someone else pushed. Take the stove apart as much as possible beforehand.

A couple of other things to consider. A heavy stove on a furniture dolly may leave impressions from the wheels on a soft wood floor. Also, I remember one member here cracking the bottom of a cast iron stove by using a floor jack to lift it. They should have built a frame first to distribute the weight or found another method.

I used the crane on the back of my service truck to lift the whole crate off of the truck. Then I took it apart to its bare bones with everything possible removed. A friend and I picked it up and carried it right in without any struggle. That was the Ideal Steel.

I got my bk king in by putting it on a few pipes and it just pushed right in.

Blocks of wood, prybars or any HD type of levers, small jacks, pieces of pipe to act as rollers or anything with wheels on/under it, and ramps are your friends when it comes to moving these lil beasts. I have moved 5 or six stoves and wood furnaces, some all by myself, using the above mentioned tools without much strain and no injury. Just gotta step back, think about it, make a plan and then not get in a hurry or let your buddy "Billy Big Mouth" talk you into doing something stupid.
Those little plastic furniture slider pads, "moving men" I think they are called, can work pretty well in the right situation too. Also, those two man appliance moving straps are handy sometimes too...like these
71i5qpChw1L._SL1024_.jpg

And if you have a bunch of steps to go up or down, you may consider renting a powered stair climber dolly, worth it's weight in gold. Some stove shops will come out and use theirs to make the move for you...$100 or so...money well spent IMO, depending on your situation.

4 big friends combined with rollers or wheels. I used 2 inch dowels to move mine across the deck and floor. Used a floor jack with wheels for the final adjustments.

2 wheeled UPS dolly and some tie downs work for me to get the old Timberline out and the new Englander in
IMG_1280.JPG

I've moved a few stoves in my life but last December I knew I was up for a challenge when it came to this beast. I canted 2 by 8s so only the edge was touching the stove crate bottom and waxed the rails Distributed the weight over the flimsy joists.Slid off the pick up truck and into the house. Maybe over engineered this, maybe a refridge dolly would have been better...

Progress rails.JPG

So on the end it was a dolly with about 4 guys...was pretty easy

I got 3 buddies (plus me 4ppl) and rented 2 straps. Lift with the legs and it was surprisingly light and ez. Although I didn't have any steps to deal with.

I just moved mine. Off the truck, in the house and on the hearth. Used a four wheel furniture dolly. Just me no help. Moving heavy objects is very easy if you think about doing it the easy way. Mind over muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.