Ideas on a pellet hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Z

Nov 10, 2013
Palmyra, WI
I live in a farmhouse with limited access. I have a pellet furnace installed and have to bring 4 to 5 tons into the basement. I have built a slide to make the event easier. Has anyone thought of a hopper system? That way I could get rid of the bags and skids in my basement. I would fill from the outside and store in a drum or storage tank.

I'm using a 3T fabric bin to feed my pellet boiler.

Have you thought about building a bin from wood? You can blow the pellets in with a leaf blower or suck them in with a cornvac/kan-burn.

I live in a farmhouse with limited access. I have a pellet furnace installed and have to bring 4 to 5 tons into the basement. I have built a slide to make the event easier. Has anyone thought of a hopper system? That way I could get rid of the bags and skids in my basement. I would fill from the outside and store in a drum or storage tank.
There are external grain silo-ish hoppers, too. And someone in this forum built an external PVC hookup where he pours pellets from the outside into a hopper inside. The system he built also removes fines, with a leaf blower, I believe.

If you are handy enough search grain silos and distribution systems under the category of agricultural. Then there are the aftermarket equipment for pellet stoves.

Just remember to be safe, Your furnace has some system to deal with a hopper fire. My pellet boiler maintains an airtight seal . My Harman bulk hopper is sealed too. I'm sure the designer was thinking "no air...no fire"

Plastic barrel for now! 240lbs of usable pellets... probably 60-80 lbs of dead weight in the bottom. I got a 1 ton grain bag for free I'll setup soon instead. Farmers are not allowed to refill them due to possible disease contamination from their farms to others I'm told.... so.... freebies all around

Could also try to source aggregate bags from local cement plant - likely the same type as used by the farmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.