Ideas on connecting a flex liner to woodstove with minimal clearance to blocker plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasted

Sep 28, 2011
Southeastern Michigan
About ready to purchase my first woodstove. Going to install in existing fireplace using a 6" flex liner that will run directly down into the top flue mount on the stove. I'm planning to install a 1 piece blocker plate (sheet steel with flanges around sides) at the top of fireplace opening (just below where the damper was). With the stove that I'm planning to purchase (Jotul J400) and the planned position of the blocker plate, I'll be left with ~3.5 inches of vertical clearance. Can I crimp the end of the 6" flex liner and fasten directly to stove or do I need to use a connector? If so, any ideas on how to install with such a limited space/height?

Just curious, why not make a 2 piece block of plate? Then install after the connector is on to give you some more room?

Not sure if it's a possibility or not, just a suggestion.

Welcome to the site!

pen

You are going to need an "appliance adapter" attached to the bottom of the liner. Most kit dealers sell the kit with your choice of a tee or an appliance adapter. Personally I used a fixed stainless steel elbow from the liner to the stove because it looks better than the corrugated liner sticking out of the top of the stove and allows the stove to be farther out on the hearth.

Lots of online liner kit dealers out there on the web. People have had good results with Rockford and Chimney Liner Depot here. I have purchased from both. I had a problem with Rockford because they tried to do my thinking for me but everybody else seems to like them. Bar none my best experiences have been with Hart's Hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.