ideas on installing a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zen1

May 17, 2006
hey, i have fireplace insert i plan to remove, its in a brick big brick fireplace, to install a stove that may need more room,
am i able to knock out some of the bricks to make bigger for a stove? anyone ever do that? I believe i could but just looking to here some input, educated. I want to put in lopi, vermont castings, ...

With roughly 2.5 to 3 tons sitting above you I would be doubly carefull about knocking out bricks.
The fire brick can not be remove per code unless they are replaced. In most cases the front opening is supported by an angle iron
I would make sure provisions are in place to support the load before removing any bricks. It can be done but, One has to think the process threw

Status
Not open for further replies.