Ideas on stove pipe on new install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSanders

Oct 25, 2016
South Alabama
Hey all, new here, but I've read a lot so far.

I have an older Valley Forge Wood Stove, we've cleaned it up, replaced the glass, brick, painted and set up the hearth and moved the stove in to the home. This is basically a hunting cabin/weekend home.

1021161009a.jpg

I have a 1-1/8" slab of granite on the floor, about 3/4" on the wall behind the stove (in the picture, yes the calendar, coat hook board and platter will be removed!).

I have been looking at stove pipe and chimney pipe. I never thought it would be so expensive. Our plans are go through the wall, and from all I have seen, that is a slightly more expensive way to go.

Questions:
  1. I wanted to use double wall pipe inside the house for obvious reasons (clearance and hot pipe), but I have the clearance if use single wall. Why would you use single wall over double wall, other than extra heat cost?
  2. Should I consider straight up through the ceiling chimney, that just seems more difficult (to me).
  3. Any suggestions from those who know of better priced double wall pipe for outside, and/or the "through the wall" kit?

Other suggestions? Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Welcome. There are several issues. If no documented clearances then the stove needs to be 36" away from the wall. This can be reduced to 12" with a proper NFPA wallshield. The slab of granite is inadequate. If single wall stove pipe is used it needs 18" clearance from the wall. Double-wall stove pipe only needs 6".
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-stove-wall-clearances-primer.147785/

The hearth is not adequate. It needs to extend at least 8" beyond the sides and the rear of the stove and should have a layer of cement board like Durock NexGen underneath it.

Yes, it is usually more expensive to go through the wall and up than just going straight up. Both ways take planning. Download the installation guide for DuraTech chimney to get a sense of what's involved. It's on the Literature tab here:
http://duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=1

Reactions: JSanders
Thank you, @begreen I do plan to use double wall stove pipe both inside and out of the house.

Double wall inside Chimney outside. That is where the cost difference comes into play as far as I know. Say you go straight up well that's 5 ft of double wall vs as soon as you go outside it is Chimney pipe. Best to go straight up if you can when installing a stand alone stove 2 story house is the only reason I can see going out of the wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.