Identify Me....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbyers88

Nov 17, 2015
Georgia
I recently purchased this in Otto, NC on a weekend trip through the mountains. The shop owner wanted #200 for it, but I got it for $160. I am new to cast iron stoves, so is this a good deal or not? Also, I am looking for some help with some specifics on it. The back of the stove door had some information stamped on. So, I know it is a JC Penny. The bottom stamps read "NO 904-0437" any help is appreciated.

3WA4Unfm0UVT903uxEwqYzRUfS-b84f71OAwiGxKODNKILTGW6rxKtiEz5XHN5BNUwyX6RjQOd-wxyhiNQ=w1377-h775-no.jpg96Yz_UDi_HhL8NDsbjD5HpXR-vWYBsxR7toWEE-GB_BkAP00Eaj3m81xLvmHTb4Djg5OCXBoarfWDROjrag=w437-h775-no.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.

Not sure what kind of help you are looking for. The old box stoves have been around under different brands for a long, long time. Up until a couple of years ago Harbor Freight had them for $169 or $159 on sale. They are not known for either efficiency or safety and most homeowner's insurance companies won't insure you with one in the house. That said my neighbor has used one for heat in his hobby wood working shop for 30 years.

But their best and highest uses these days are things like this.

box stove mailbox1.jpg

Reactions: bags
:eek:;hm:confused:I didn't even consider the local fire codes, home-owners insurance or the inefficiencies of the stove itself. Thanks for turning those light-bulbs on for me. I am looking for more information along the lines of the manufacture and the manufacturing dates. My thought process is that JCPenny didn't make it, but had it made and sold it as a store brand product. Also, what would be the best why to give it some TLC. I really do not intend to use it very often. Mostly for nostalgia. Maybe burning some wood and paper scraps.

And I like the mail box.

A lot of sanding and then filling the joints with furnace cement before applying 1,200 degree high heat stove paint. US Stove Company made a lot of the box stoves and Franklin style cast iron stoves for Penny and Montgomery Ward during the energy crunch of the 1970's.

Status
Not open for further replies.