Identify this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
I was cutting some trees this past weekend and I'm not that good at identifying it but I'm sure someone here can. When I cut it it the sawdust from the chainsaw was a bright yellowish green. The picture below shows the bucked piece that had some of the wood exposed to the elements and had turned a deep red. The pictures arent great because my basement is not well lit.

Attachments

• DSC00032.JPG
    DSC00032.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 343
  • DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 351
Yellowish green saw dust? I'll guess Black Locust?

It wasn't heavy. I think it had begun to season as the top half was silvering from the sun. My father mentioned that it might be black locust but I expected it to be more dense and heavier since it is such a good burning wood. I split a piece and it was about 25% MC and burned pretty good. I had never seen suc a bright colored sawdust before and figured this would be the tell tale sign. Can anyone confirm it is black locust?

Does it look like this Black Locust?

Attachments

• 100_0619.jpg
    100_0619.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 100_0620.jpg
    100_0620.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 297
Todd said:

Yes, I think we have a winner. It appears that those splits weathered to a reddish color also. Is that correct? I also know where I will be going back next weekend for more wood.

Todd, your black locust pics look just like a tree I bucked up - I was pretty sure that's what I had. The tree had a number of large burls that my FIL has already used in his woodshop.

I'd say mulberry, it starts out mustard yellow and turns a deep red-brown when exposed. Locust is more green-yellow, and doesn't turn nearly so brown in my experience.

Rockey said:
Todd said:

Yes, I think we have a winner. It appears that those splits weathered to a reddish color also. Is that correct? I also know where I will be going back next weekend for more wood.

Yep, this locust was yellow/green when it was bucked and split, then through the summer it faded to reddish brown. It was also lighter than expected, but most of it was standing dead. I have 3 cords of the stuff ready for next year, wish I had more.

No question, black locust. Very course bark, yellowish green color, some reddish tinges. If you leave it in the sun with part exposed and part covered, the sun exposed part will turn reddish. It's odd, but at times it doesn't seem heavy, yet make no mistake, this wood is dense and awesome long, hot burn wood. Todd, nice pile! I know of a piece of property near a downtown location where they cut down about 2 cords of black locust and its just been sitting there for a few years. Barks off now, I just need to go to the town offices and find out who owns the property, (its rental units) so I can politely offer to clean up the "mess" for them! Rockey, if that's what you've got, go back and get all you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.