Identifying mystery part for Jotul C350 Winterport -- Solved!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixminus1

Jan 11, 2008
Coastal NJ
After 6 weeks of waiting, my Winterport insert has finally arrived. I'm very excited about having it installed... hopefully some time this week or next week.

I thoroughly inspected everything, and read every manual and set of instructions over and over again.

The only thing I'm not understanding, is the purpose and location of the part pictured here.

It was sitting inside the firebox when the unit arrived. All the parts mentioned in the instructions are accounted for. This part isn't in the drawings, and it isn't referenced in the parts list at the back of the manual.

It isn't the riser bar, nor is it the bottom trim for the surround (I've identified all those already).

Do any Winterport (or possibly Kennebec) owners know what this piece is?

First pic is of the rear view, where you can see the part number. Second pic is the front-view.

Attachments

• DSC02253.JPG
    DSC02253.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC02255.JPG
    DSC02255.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 523
DriftWood said:
Can you tell us its size?

Sure, sorry -- I should have mentioned that. I don't know how it should be oriented, so I'll go by the top-down view in the original pics:

X-Axis: 23"
Y-Axis at Center: 1.75"
Y-Axis at Ends: 1.25"
Z-Axis (not visible in original pics): 1"

Edit: Added another picture so you can see it in relation to the unit.

Attachments

• DSC02258.JPG
    DSC02258.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 568
Mystery solved.

I just put in a call to Jotul NA (thanks to this forum for providing the phone #).

It's an Ash Fettle that sits between the andirons and the inside of the door.

They said it was a late addition to the unit, so it isn't listed in the manual.

In my original pics, I had it upside-down.

When I got my F600, the packet of hardware contained an Allen wrench. I never did figure out what that was supposed to be used for - anybody know about that one?

BotetourtSteve said:
When I got my F600, the packet of hardware contained an Allen wrench. I never did figure out what that was supposed to be used for - anybody know about that one?

Just a guess, but to remove the baffle/secondaries plate for cleaning?

Missed your post from earlier. Mine came installed in the stove when I unpacked it, though I did notice it was absent from the parts diagram. Any idea what an "Ash Fettle" actually is? I have noticed the coals will pile up right to the top of that "fettle" so it keeps the coals off the glass. It also seems to do a fine job of keeping falling logs off the glass. Those 3/4" tall andirons don't do much, they are hopelessly buried under ash and coals after a few re-loads.

sixminus1 said:
Mystery solved.

I just put in a call to Jotul NA (thanks to this forum for providing the phone #).

It's an Ash Fettle that sits between the andirons and the inside of the door.

They said it was a late addition to the unit, so it isn't listed in the manual.

In my original pics, I had it upside-down.

Status
Not open for further replies.