Identifying Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburn

Oct 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
Anyone have any good links, or good tips about how to identify trees? I know someone who does treework, and he said I can go to his yard and grab wood. Problem is- he has so much there, I get confused. Of course, I am looking at rounds- no branches or leaves to help make things easier.

Not sure of any links. I'd suggest the best way to learn is to get to know someone who can identify wood that you have in your area and be with them several times. When I was a young lad I struggled with this same thing and never could get straight answers from anyone on how they identify wood or standing trees. So, every time I saw something that I could not identify I'd hound different folks and ask what it was. After some time I was able to identify various wood and trees. Still, there are some I do not know and I have some on our place that I've never yet been able to find someone who could identify what it is. Patience, patience. It will come in time.

Todd said:
Nice link Todd, adding it to my favorites. I just realized that I probably have red oak, scarlet oak and nlack oak, Q. velutina all growing in my woods here in SE NH. The differences between them are kind of obscure, probably best defined by their acorns since they are mostly 50' plus and no branches to reach from ground level for twig ID. From the perspective of my stove it doesn't matter but from a guy with a degree in plant science it's intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.