1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Identifying wood... good book, references, etc.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Jay H, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    As a newbie wood stove burner/owner, I'm trying to figure out a good reference to learn how to identify trees and split pieces of wood. Something that perhaps have pictures and stuff to look for. Basically a "how to" for a fairly novice wood stove burner...

Any references would be appreciated!

Jay

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/2023?mv_session_id=ir6dRm4o&product_sku=17390

This would be a good book for anyone with interest in wood and woodcutting
    It was written by Eric Johnsons dad (with Erics help) and I read at least something from it every few days. I think I have pretty much read the whole book and only purchased it last month.

As far as reference for identification I think Audubon puts out books broken down by area (IE Eastern US, ETC)
    My mother has a bunch of these books but I dont remember who puts them out, I will look when I go there tonight.

I think maybe the North American Field guide to ....... (fill in the blank)
  3. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.