Identifying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I picked this up yesterday anybody know what type this is? I tried looking it up but had no luck.

Attachments

• wood 1.jpg
    wood 1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 604
  • wood 2.jpg
    wood 2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 620
Got any leaves? Hickory?

Here are some leafs the best I had. I tried looking it up I kept coming up with different types of ash or poison sumac

Attachments

• leaf 2.jpg
    leaf 2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 547
Are those leaves from the tree, or from something that was growing up/around the tree? Rick

I've never seen the tree but the leaf seems to identify as the Blue Ash. You can tell if the twigs and stems are squared and if it's flowers are purplish.

I will guess shagbark hickory. It should be as heavy as concrete and make the saw squirm, then I am right!!!

What you have there is Honeylocust. We have a lot of it here in PA. It's a decent fuelwood, but not as good as Black Locust. It's heavy when wet.

He did not say it has thorns, those would be hard to miss! If it has thorns then yes honey locust.

Those are leafs that I took off one of the logs. It is heavy maybe this weekend I'll cut it up. I didn't think of Hickory, But Blue Ash was one of the trees I came up with. The wind blew it over yesterday during a storm. Theres about 20ft of this tree I can't get to. It's down this little raven if I cut it it will probably fall on the house below. I didn't see any thorns

I'm telling you guys that it is Honeylocust; my Father-in-law has two decent sized ones in his yard and I've worked with it before. I would be SHOCKED if it wasn't that-and his trees have never had the thorns.

PA. Woodsman said:
I'm telling you guys that it is Honeylocust; my Father-in-law has two decent sized ones in his yard and I've worked with it before. I would be SHOCKED if it wasn't that-and his trees have never had the thorns.

I'm not familiar with this species but I would have to agree. We have black locust here and the bark looks similar as well as the sweeping growth of the logs in the pics.

I really am stumped!!!!! I have cut chinese oak that looked similar to these pics. Also the bark and crook look like locust. The sap wood and grain look like cherry but the bark is way to wavy. Maybe its a hybrid cherry. I don't know .

Seeds look about right. Locust pods are long and flat. According to the docs, the clue for blue ash is to look at smaller twigs. The stems will be squarish, the woody stems will have little cork like ridges on them. I'll dig up a picture.

The honey locust we have out here has many more leaves per stem, often alternating, and a deep ridged bark. But maybe it's different back east.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=FRQU
http://www.inspire.net/trees/fact pages/ash_blue/ash_blue.html

Attachments

• Blue_Ash_Stem.jpg
    Blue_Ash_Stem.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Blue_Ash_leaf.jpg
    Blue_Ash_leaf.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 327
Over here in PA it called ( burn me untill it wont be burn no more )Great scrore
Honey locust the seeds will turn brown in the fall and drop also known to be a dirty tree alot of clean up through out the year
Season like oak Also you will get longer burns with that locust
G reat score you win the grand prize of splitting it and loooking at it until;; it seasons

Sure looks a lot like the hickory I just cut today.

There are many ornamental cultivars of honey locust and most of them are thornless though many of those are also fruitless (though burning them isn't :cheese: ) I've never had the opportunity to cut any up for firewood though I've cut up plenty of black locust :). like Lee said, the bark and crook sure look like locust. Leaf fits too though seems a bit course for locust.

Attachments

• honeylocust-Gleditsia_triacanthos.jpg
    honeylocust-Gleditsia_triacanthos.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 262
I finally figured out what it is!!!!!

IT"S WOOD !!! Burn it ! All of it ! LOL

My dad went to NY Ranger/Forestry school and has a book of every species known to man. It's about 3 inches thick.
I have leafed (no pun intended) through it several times . The number of species of every tree is unreal. If I remember there were well over 1000 diferent species of conifer (softwood).

Whatever it is cut ,split,season,stack,burn and enjoy the heat and savings it provides you.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I really am stumped!!!!!

So to speak. I agree with Lee and the guy on craigslist...looks like mostly "fire wood". Rick

yer both out on a limb :)

Status
Not open for further replies.