Identifying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah...time to branch out, I guess. Rick

Argh, on that note, I think it's time to leaf.

Right behind ya...I'm already packin' my trunk. I'll set down roots in another thread. Rick

one more of those and the dogs will be barking behind ya sap. :p

BeGreen said:

Juniper! Whadya have to go and say somethin' like that to me fir...jus' needlin' me? %-P Rick

Leaves are too large for black locust and bark is not gnarly enough. The fruit isn't black locust. Leaves are too course for honey locust and most thornless honey locusts don't bear fruit, plus locust is a legume and it's fruit is decidely bean-like. Blue ash? not familiar with it, but I'm a Jersey boy who moved to NH 35 years ago and we don't have that here. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/trees/ash_bl/tabid/5329/Default.aspx Blue ash absolutely has my vote!! Nice pun-run Rick and BG, sorry I missed the action!! :) Gotta split!

Doesn't look like any hickory i've ever seen. And I've got a whole stand of 'em.

I do have two unidentified trees with big gnarley bark on them... leaves are too high up to get a good look. I'll have to look up Blue Ash again if I ever fell one of those fellers. And from Ohio DNR website... sure enough, mine are sitting on rock outcrops, albeit sandstone rather than limestone.

How about Iron Wood, the bark looks like that tree.

fossil said:
BeGreen said:

Juniper! Whadya have to go and say somethin' like that to me fir...jus' needlin' me? %-P Rick

Yeah, whaddaya gonna sumac? I think we're both making ashes of ourselves and everybody must be pining by now, but it was fun.

BeGreen said:
...Yeah, whaddaya gonna sumac? I think we're both making ashes of ourselves and everybody must be pining by now, but it was fun.

Indeed it was, BG...I laughed my Aspen off! Rick

no man said:
I don't think it is hickory or locust. I cut some up today and it wasn't that hard. It cut more like the Red Ash I cut up a few weeks ago

Honeylocust isn't very hard to cut up like Black Locust. I'm very sure that is what you have; look at the "strips" of bark that you can grab ahold of and probably peel off somewhat-that's indicative of Honeylocust. You might have to take a piece to a local tree service or firewood dealer to give us all the answer!

I'll have to try peeling the bark off. Its not that big of a deal what kind it is its just fun to try to identify what type it is. Its also fun to hear all the input from others

PA. Woodsman said:
no man said:
I don't think it is hickory or locust. I cut some up today and it wasn't that hard. It cut more like the Red Ash I cut up a few weeks ago

Honeylocust isn't very hard to cut up like Black Locust. I'm very sure that is what you have; look at the "strips" of bark that you can grab ahold of and probably peel off somewhat-that's indicative of Honeylocust. You might have to take a piece to a local tree service or firewood dealer to give us all the answer!
When you look at the pictures of the fruit provided it doesn't look at all like the elongated bean-like pods that locust has.

derecskey said:
Leaves and Fruit do seem to indicate Blue Ash. PA Woodsman just can't admit this because he's never seen one before ;)

Only seen it in pictures, but I sure can't say that the bark looks like the pictures of Blue Ash.

I'm still stickin' with Honeylocust!!

Yes, the bark threw me too, that's why I guessed a hickory at first. Was the tree dying or diseased? So far, the leaves and fruit seem to identify it as blue ash. If no man could check the stems for ID that would help confirm or disprove it. The four sided twig is what is unique and gives it its latin name, Fraxinus quadrangulata.

Here's some more info on the tree:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/trees/ash_bl/tabid/5329/Default.aspx

Attachments

• ash_bl_brk_lg.jpg
    ash_bl_brk_lg.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 200
BeGreen said:
Yes, the bark threw me too, that's why I guessed a hickory at first. Was the tree dying or diseased? So far, the leaves and fruit seem to identify it as blue ash. If no man could check the stems for ID that would help confirm or disprove it. The four sided twig is what is unique and gives it its latin name, Fraxinus quadrangulata.

Yes, now look at the picture of the bark here of Blue Ash and compare it to the first pictures posted in question; not even close in my eyes. Now go Google some pictures of Honeylocust and look at the "ridged strips" of bark and the color of the bark. I'm basing this solely on the bark-the leaves and fruit may vary from state to state, but I'd bet almost anything that it's Honeylocust. I told him to take a piece to a local tree service or firewood dealer and ask them to settle this once and for all because I certainly want to know what it is! LOL...

One of the easiest ways to decipher between Ash and the Hickory and Locust votes is to check out the branching on the tree. If the branches are opposite each other, it is ash - if they alternate, it would be one of the other choices. [Maple, Ash and Dogwood are opposite branchers] Hopefully you yahoos know what opposite means? [j/k boys]

I thought it looked like locust to begin with but looking at the leaf/leaflets - that looks like Ash. I have never seen a mature Blue Ash before. on those compound leaves, Hickory Leaflets are usually largest at the end. On the ash, the leaflets are largest in the middle of the leaf - and they max out at 9 leaflets per leaf. This one appears to be Ash. I think the Blue Ash has toothed leaves - and this one shows some tooth, albeit small.

Anywho - my two cents...

^yeah they looked like Ash leaves to me as well.

PA. Woodsman said:
BeGreen said:

Yes, now look at the picture of the bark here of Blue Ash and compare it to the first pictures posted in question; not even close in my eyes. Now go Google some pictures of Honeylocust and look at the "ridged strips" of bark and the color of the bark. I'm basing this solely on the bark-the leaves and fruit may vary from state to state, but I'd bet almost anything that it's Honeylocust. I told him to take a piece to a local tree service or firewood dealer and ask them to settle this once and for all because I certainly want to know what it is! LOL...

PA Woodsman - be careful with the Bark ID. Bark will vary greatly depending on the age of the tree where sometimes furrows turn to deep furrows in the course 5-10 years, where a 40 year old tree would look markedly different than a 50 year old tree o the same sp.

CTWB beat me to it. Bark can be very deceptive based on age of tree. Leaves and fruit generally look the same over the life of the tree. Pictures of the fruit scream "Blue Ash, Blue Ash!"

CTwoodburner said:
PA Woodsman - be careful with the Bark ID. Bark will vary greatly depending on the age of the tree where sometimes furrows turn to deep furrows in the course 5-10 years, where a 40 year old tree would look markedly different than a 50 year old tree o the same sp.

Yes, very true. Now I have another question for you guys who have cut Blue Ash; all of the Ash that I've ever cut had a little "pinhole" running through the center of the wood that you can see on the flush side of the wood when it's cut-does Blue Ash have this pinhole? I don't see it in the original picture when I magnify it. And is the center of the wood reddish-brown like this picture shows?

Well I cut all of it up and the saw went through the wood like butter.
That suprised me as heavy as the wood is I thought it would cut a little harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.