If a bag of pellets gets wet...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
If a bag of pellets gets wet, say the top 1/4 or a bottom portion and I am able to pull the wet pellets out. Is it ok to burn the other pellets that didn't get wet? Is there any danger or anything to watch out for? Thanks!

Burn the ones that have not turned to saw dust.

i had a few bags were a portion of the pellets were wet and swelled up i just stirred them up in the bag and dumped in the the hopper and burn away no problems

This really depends on the type of stove.. Wet pellets and fines can jam up the system, expecially if its a central shaft auger system. Spring augers are less suceptable to jamming. But fines and wet pellets are capable of jamming up every system. If you have a wet bag, pull if the good pellets from the top, get the fines out, and use the rest for mulch.

MountainStoveGuy said:
This really depends on the type of stove.. Wet pellets and fines can jam up the system, expecially if its a central shaft auger system. Spring augers are less suceptable to jamming. But fines and wet pellets are capable of jamming up every system. If you have a wet bag, pull if the good pellets from the top, get the fines out, and use the rest for mulch.

That's pretty much what I thought. I was able to save most of the 4 bags I had thag got wet, lost a total of about 1 whole bag out of the 4 that got wet. Thanks for the info guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.