If a cat glows red...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
If I see orange red in where the cat sits is that ok? And for how long within a burn cycle?
Thanks

Yes, it is supposed to do that although it can still be working even if it is not glowing. It will last as long as there are still things for it to be burning up.

Every time a cat glows, and angel gets its wings.

A glowing cat is a cat that is doing its job. Eating smoke.

Hows that saying "red cat at night woodburners delight"? Ha, it will turn red at temps over 1000 degrees, sounds like it's working good if it's that hot.

It has a good rumble to it...nice and distinct, unlike the freight train sound of my encore NC (good heater) but I sold it!

I'd call the vet, or ask for an exorcism ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist %-P

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I'd call the vet, or ask for an exorcism ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist %-P

I am not a cat man per say....I love dogs... but if my dog was glowing red I would take your advise!

Cat glowing red = OK.
Fire-back or hood iron glowing red (on VC) = overfire.

Diabel said:
If I see orange red in where the cat sits is that ok? And for how long within a burn cycle?
Thanks

Yes, it is good. How long it will glow red depends upon how much wood you have and, of course, the condition of that wood, and how hot the stove and the cat gets. I've never kept track to see how long it will glow but can say it is several hours. As the wood burns, at some point there is very little smoke and that is when the cat will stop glowing. We still leave the cat engaged until we put more wood in the stove.

Backwoods Savage said:
Diabel said:
Thanks

Yes, it is good. How long it will glow red depends upon how much wood you have and, of course, the condition of that wood, and how hot the stove and the cat gets. I've never kept track to see how long it will glow but can say it is several hours. As the wood burns, at some point there is very little smoke and that is when the cat will stop glowing. We still leave the cat engaged until we put more wood in the stove.

That is interesting. I see that as well, once the cat stops glowing I can see a faint streak of smoke out the pipe....hardly noticeable.

loaded the stove up this morning at 530 and at 11 had a faint glow going still.

Status
Not open for further replies.