If chim is not too dirty, how often to clean inside pipes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1st

Jun 3, 2007
Enfield, CT
Hi All. I cleaned my SS chim on Christmas day and not only was it easy with a stiff 6" poly brush, but it was quick and not too much came out. (Thanks to the fellow that posted how to use electrical conduit and the parts needed). I go thru the wall so I was able to clean it from outside on the ground. I did not disassemble the stuff inside (4' vert + elbow + 1 ft + 45 + 1 ft + thinble) and I'd rather not too often! My question is, if the chim is not too dirty when I clean it, how often do I have to pull apart the inside pipes and brush them?

I would not bother more than once a year on the inside parts. Providing your outside vertical is found to be clean on your regular checks.
You can always knuckle tap the horizontal to listen for any buildup or creosote flaking off in there.

My set up is similar to yours. And I also brushed mine the other day when I took a 24/7 break. I only brsh inside pipe when the season is over. Maybe April. Although I will brush the outside ss again prior to the final burn.

Hey N1ST, where is the post regarding the electrical conduit material? I have a 2 foot horiz pipe from the stove through the wall then up 2 story on the side of the house. I usually clean the vertical no problem with the brush and rods but the horiz piece I just try to shove the shop vac hose in there to get out what I can. I did disconnect the stove one year and give it a look and didn't really see anything in there. Thanks, Happy, Healthy, Safe New Year to All

glassmanjpf said:
Hey N1ST, where is the post regarding the electrical conduit material? I have a 2 foot horiz pipe from the stove through the wall then up 2 story on the side of the house. I usually clean the vertical no problem with the brush and rods but the horiz piece I just try to shove the shop vac hose in there to get out what I can. I did disconnect the stove one year and give it a look and didn't really see anything in there. Thanks, Happy, Healthy, Safe New Year to All

Do a search on Conduit, electrical, or brass. Basically you get 2 10 foot sections that you'll connect by drilling a hole and putting a small bolt thru. Then on the non-flanged end, you'll glue on a plastic (1/2) 3/4 female threaded piece. Then screw in a brass male 3/4" piece that has an interior 1/2" thread that your brush will screw into. ....at least that's my recolection. Costs <$10 and parts are all available at Lowes/HD. Good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I won't worry about the pipes until end of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.