If I so much as touch my thermostats, hit me upside the head

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
Okay, so it got chilly here Tuesday night, and I lit a fire in the Englander.

Started with 1/4 of a SuperCedar, a small bit of kindling, some scraps of oak board. Fed three small splits of oak during the evening. Damn near roasted myself out of the house all evening.

I closed the bedroom door and opened a window in order to sleep. The rest of the house was still cozy next morning.

Conclusion: I can just leave the thermostats for my baseboard electric at "LOW" and never touch 'em again.

Me like. Me very happy.

Nancy

You're going to be even happier come January, Nanc :)

I don't mind the shoulder season . . . you just have to learn to a) not put too much wood into the stove, b) not use the good stuff in the woodstove and c) not reload the stove even though you may be tempted -- and then give your stove time to heat up the place. I tend to use the punks, chunks and uglies . . . just small loads to take the chill out of the air . . . and as long as I follow a, b and c I rarely get the place too hot . . . on the other hand when I've failed to follow a, b or c (or a combination thereof) then I pay the price and end up with a sauna -- you do that a few times and you quickly learn how to run your stove during the shoulder season.

I don't touch the thermostat either. It's a programmable digital model. ;-)

Which reminds me, time to replace the heatpump air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.