If I were to insulate three walls of my interior chase from the outside (of the chase, not outside o

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creature

Jul 18, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
I have an existing interior chase that used to have an 8in triple wall chimney in it.

That has been removed and I'm installing (Canadian) Excel 6in class A pipe. Since it is an existing chase that can't be changed structurally and there isn't enough room to get a human in it, I'm struggling with how to securely insulate the three remaining interior walls (one wall is exterior and has to be insulated).

This isn't a code requirement for the interior walls (I'm over engineering) and logistically I may need to abandon the thought, but I'm wondering if anyone has overcome this challenge (or has another angle). From a service standpoint, it makes sense that it is somewhat accessible (without insulation), but from a safety/draft standpoint I'd like to put rock wool (Roxul ComfortBatt) in those cavities but I need to make sure it doesn't fall on the pipe by securing it in some way.

The only solution I could think of was to insulate and sheet it from the interior of the chase. Then make temporary access holes for installation of the various components and patch it up after (while maintaining clearances). Talk about awkward, messy, and a service nightmare if I have to get in there again.

I'm pretty sure I'll dispose of these thoughts, way too much work.

Status
Not open for further replies.