If not 24/7 then how long burn time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adrpga498

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
New Jersey
Just courious of those who aren't at 24/7 yet, (too warm here in Jerzy). How late in the evening willyou wait until you say "forget it" too late to start a "batch " fire. I know this isn't really comparing equally with soapstoners. I'll start a fire as late as 7pm . To take the chill out , that gives me time to pop a few beers then fall out. My last reload is around 11 or midnight.

For me its been around sunset. House is about 68.... but when I head to bed its approaching 90. Usually 74 in the AM.

And I have had a couple of beers before I considered lighting that match.

I say light it off when the inside temps get to 65. However, my wife says 68. In central Ohio it has been wierd. Really cold at night. But today was really warm. Nearly 70. If I would have had the stove burning we would have been roasted out.

Sometimes I won't light off till 9 because the house might be warm but you loose during the night, this way it is enough to carry the house to mid morning... If not then at 5:30 am -6 am the house is cold and I don't want to turn the furnace on then because at 10:30 am the house is fine and a couple windows will probably get cracked.

Around 10 pm will throw in 2 big splits and cut the air to 50-60 % and the house will be ok, sometime might have to throw a piece or two in the morning but that is it..

We are running soapstone.

Sandor said:
For me its been around sunset. House is about 68.... but when I head to bed its approaching 90. Usually 74 in the AM.

And I have had a couple of beers before I considered lighting that match.

I thought "SOAPSTONE" didnt do that Sandor ? ;-P hehehe

adrpga498 said:
Just courious of those who aren't at 24/7 yet, (too warm here in Jerzy). How late in the evening willyou wait until you say "forget it" too late to start a "batch " fire. I know this isn't really comparing equally with soapstoners. I'll start a fire as late as 7pm . To take the chill out , that gives me time to pop a few beers then fall out. My last reload is around 11 or midnight.

I will wait until the house hits 70° down stairs and then throw in a few small oak blocks* and some very small splits and a 1/4" chunk of a Duraflame slice just to get a coal bed going and start the draft in the right direction. ( about 1.5 hours time ) and house stays at 70° - 72° .as the out side temp drops )

Right as the coal bed is about to go out i will put in a few small splits and make a small hot fire. and run that for about another hour and put in some large splits about another 1 - 1.5 hour later.
Running this way keeps the fires hot and keeps the house at around 72° .
For me there is nothing worse than a house going from 65° to 80° + after starting a fire.
With practice it not too hard to keep the home 70° - 74° and be comfortable with a wood stove.

* Oak blocks: small 2" x 2" Oak blocks i get from a local Church pew manufacture that are scraps i get buy the truck load.

October should be on the calendar as "Wood Burner's Hell". Too hot. Too cold. Too hot. Too cold.

November around here ain't much better.

BrotherBart said:
October should be on the calendar as "Wood Burner's Hell". Too hot. Too cold. Too hot. Too cold.

I concur . Got up to 75 today with 5 mph wind to low of 26 tonight with 40 mph gusts. WHAT THE HEY!?!?

Starting a new fire is an every day thing.

Cold weather's coming. 3 days ago, 55 at night. Today it was 29 in Seattle, breezy and colder temps predicted for tonight, teens in the burbs. For us that is damn cold. Heading to a woodstove near you real soon.

I lit up at 3pm after installing the draft damper on the Castine. We're around 70 inside now and 39 outside. Normally we don't let it get below 67 during the day and 62 at night.

BeGreen said:
Cold weather's coming. 3 days ago, 55 at night. Today it was 29 in Seattle, breezy and colder temps predicted for tonight, teens in the burbs. For us that is damn cold. Heading to a woodstove near you real soon.

I lit up at 3pm after installing the draft damper on the Castine. We're around 70 inside now and 39 outside. Normally we don't let it get below 67 during the day and 62 at night.

I need some lessons on using that draft damper BeGreen. Burning fine but I think I am giving back carbon faster than necessacary.

Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:

I concur . Got up to 75 today with 5 mph wind to low of 26 tonight with 40 mph gusts. WHAT THE HEY!?!?

I hear that Roospike, we are in the same general area. I was in Lincoln a few eeks ago looking at Soapstones. Wind is howling outside now.

struggle said:
Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:

I hear that Roospike, we are in the same general area. I was in Lincoln a few eeks ago looking at Soapstones. Wind is howling outside now.
You must of been looking at soapstone stoves in South Lincoln ? Thats were i looked .... there are 3 stove dealers with in blocks of each other and the dealer up the road from the hearthstone dealers is where i got my P.E. Summit ( Capital Patio / The Flame Shop )

Big high winds isnt normal around here with 40-50 mph gusts so the temp drop that came with it was cold , cold , cold.

DonCT said:
That's because there's nothing to block the wind!!!! Grow some dern trees!!!! :p
WE HAVE CORN AND COWS YA KNOW !
Its not that windy under 6 foot high. %-P

I will start one right up till 8 or 9. I can do a more agreesive start up and get it up to temp fairly quickly. If hubby complains the family room is too cool, I start one up. He's used to a temp controlled environment at work, so he doesn't like it when the house gets chilly. He's in sweatshirts already, I'm still in my summer t-shirts.

Roospike said:
DonCT said:
That's because there's nothing to block the wind!!!! Grow some dern trees!!!! :p
WE HAVE CORN AND COWS YA KNOW !
Its not that windy under 6 foot high. %-P

Hmm....High wind and cows...Automated cow tipping. %-P

Big Eric, the insert was my idea, so it's mostly my responsibility as well. I wanted to be warm at home while he was at work. I got sick and tired of freezing during the winter. I researched it, I checked out all the stoves shops within an hour, I bought it, arranged the install, take care of getting it serviced. I scrounge wood, he splits it, I haul it, he stacks it. When it comes to the insert itself, I'd be surprised if he's lit more than one fire in the 3 years we've had it. And he rarely touches the controls, has never cleaned the ash, but he does haul wood to the garage and often brings it upstairs for me. I'm happy with it that way though. Loaded it up one day, gave him strict instructions on what to do and how and went off to shower. Came down to check and it's in the process of being overfired - he was watching a game on tv. It's been overfired twice, now I just do it myself, safer that way. :)

When the house drops to about 72 I'll start up a fire in the wood furnace. I'll burn it hot and if its gonna be mild outside I'll let it burn out. We like the house temps to remain around 75 to 76. At nighttime, I'll load a few pieces of locust , Open the draft up, charr all the wood cut down the air, and It will heat the house all night cleanly and in the morning I'll have plenty of coals for a fire If I need one. I always say if your uncomfortable in the house why not light up the fire when its free! Nothings better than free heat. We used 30 percent propane last year and everything but our water heater is gas. Can't beat it!

I'll wait till around 9:00pm before the burn plan goes into effect. THE PLAN: If the thermostat on the first floor is 68 and ouside in the 40's I'll fire it up. Get the small stuff burning for an hour then throw in two logs. Around 11:30 throw in two or three more and call it a night. Of course, if the conditions are right the PLAN can be amended.

If I get up at 2-3am to take care of business I might throw a couple more in. The wife let's it go out during the day or feeds it if needed. Usually late Nov we are into the 24/7 mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.