If there is a Chimney fire, what should I do with the insert controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodsie8 said:
You all are probably thinking........."maybe this gal shouldn't get that insert" :)

LMAO! About 6 threads ago. Ultimately it's up to you of course, but if you have this many questions and have to invest so much time on just the install, think of the plethora of questions you'll have about:
wood quality?
type?
Best type?
burn time?
best way to light?
Can I burn this stuff safely?
Is this a good price for a cord of wood?
wood size?
storage?
heard this sound before?
Best way to get bird out of stove?
I smell smoke!!!???
I don't smell smoke!!!!!???
What should I oil?
How to take care of pipe over the summer months?
How close can I get Christmas lights to my chimney?
Really high winds last night - do I get the chimney inspected?
Bugs in my wood??
Pipes glowing red?

well actually highlight all the other threads the gang on here has about their fireplaces :bug: ;-P The clear majority of hearth owners questions don't really start until after the stove is installed. Could be this just isn't you cup of tea.

Woodsie,
I too share your concern about chimney fires so I do all I can to prevent them. First, I stack my firewood, all spring and summer, in a single row out in the sun and wind. For the softwood we have here on the west coast that ensures it's dry. After the summer I stack the wood in a woodshed. Secondly, all my fires are hot enough to attain secondary burns and I do not let a fire smolder away.

My thinking is that chimney fires occur when creosote goes up the chimney and accumulates on the chimney itself, so if I can get a secondary burn going, then there will be very little going up the chimney that is still flammable, and the flue gas is so hot that it won't stick to the side of the chimney.

Each time my chimney has been cleaned, the sweep rates my burning style as an A+. Oh, and I don't usually see smoke coming out of my chimney.

hilly said:
Woodsie,
I too share your concern about chimney fires so I do all I can to prevent them. First, I stack my firewood, all spring and summer, in a single row out in the sun and wind. For the softwood we have here on the west coast that ensures it's dry. After the summer I stack the wood in a woodshed. Secondly, all my fires are hot enough to attain secondary burns and I do not let a fire smolder away.

My thinking is that chimney fires occur when creosote goes up the chimney and accumulates on the chimney itself, so if I can get a secondary burn going, then there will be very little going up the chimney that is still flammable, and the flue gas is so hot that it won't stick to the side of the chimney.

Each time my chimney has been cleaned, the sweep rates my burning style as an A+. Oh, and I don't usually see smoke coming out of my chimney.

Great advice. First have a "qualified person" check your chimney and your piping. Then start with small but hot fire until you are more comfortable. Try not to store a lot of wood in or near the house to add to your problems. Chimney fires need fuel (creasote) to burn. Nice hot fires and chimney cleaning are a great preventive measure. Be aware but enjoy the wood burning experience. Try to close the air controls if possible and safe. I would not go spraying anything unless there is no fire dept. available. Ed

The best thing to do about a chimney fire is to avoid them. That begins with having a good flue and burning dry wood only. Then start with a good hot fire to establish the fire and coal bed. Char the next loads before closing down the air control. Burn cleanly and you are not likely to have this issue. You are also doing the right thing by insisting that your liner be insulated. The basic idea is to keep the gases in the flue above condensation temp. Plan on having a chimney sweep check your chimney mid-season to see how you are burning. If he says it looks fine, then you are set. If not, he'll clean it.

The first season of burning will be a test for you. I love R&D;guy's comments, all the above must be going through your mind. Relax and take it step by step. Watch this video for an example of how it's done:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1

R & D guy, I have already looked into all the threads on those other questions :) Actually the questions are getting less and I understand much more. Last night, I sat here, trying to visualize how the insert actually works............. bringing the air in, 2nd burn, draft, etc.................. If I understand the actually working of something, it is easier to problem solve. Like something as simple as air feeds fire, so shut off the air.
As far as this may not be my cup of tea...................... heck no, I know enough now, this is going to be my cup of tea, every day :)
Also, I want to add to your reading enjoyment and give you your daily laugh...............

Terrific responses. Do everything you can to avoid a chimney fire, and you're likely to never experience one. If you do, all you can do is shut down the air (if possible), call 9-1-1, and get out of the house. I keep a dry chemical extinguisher in the vicinity of each of my stoves, but those are by no means intended to deal with chimney fires...simply peace of mind if something near the stove were to catch fire, or an ember or split were to come out of the stove during reload/fire tending. Using Carbon Dioxide or water near a hot wood stove or insert would be an invitation to disaster. Rick

Pook said:
...if chimney fire, place bag & wet paper in stove. plastic melts & steam evolves subtly to extinguish fire without damage to stove or glass. havent had a chance to try it.

Nor have I, nor will I ever. The last thing I'd do if I had a chimney fire is open up the door on the stove for any reason until that chimney fire's been extinguished. Rick

Pook said:
shut off all air intakes to smother fire.
prof said= keep a rolled up wet newspaper in plastic bag near stove. if chimney fire, place bag & wet paper in stove. plastic melts & steam evolves subtly to extinguish fire without damage to stove or glass. havent had a chance to try it.

I like that idea! Has anyone ever heard of this? Seems like it might slow things down a little if the fire got away from you. Got that "wet blanket" thing goin' on.

It would seem to me (opinion) that you have to be doing more than one thing wrong in order to have a chimney fire. You might be able to burn green wood, but as long as the chimney is being inspected and cleaned regularly, the creosote buildup should never be heavy enough to cause a problem. Starting with well seasoned wood is the obvious first step, but if your inspection shows an unusual amount of creosote, you have another problem that needs to be addressed. Let your sweep check it frequently the first year and let them tell you if everything is OK.

Chris

On my napolean I only have one control and when closed all the way Oxygen is still getting in to the box.From reading other post some people can close all of there oxogen off and there fires goes out. If and I say IF I had a chimney fire how can I stop the oxogen going up the flue?

Is that true should all stoves have some type of oxygen shut off..Is there some type of flue for the 6"stainless liner that would stop the oxygen from going up the flue should I have one In case of a chimney fire.
I like all Q-A

You can't completely close off the secondary air supply on an EPA stove unless you've modified the secondary intake or devised some sort of shutoff on the OAK.

Burd said:
On my napolean I only have one control and when closed all the way Oxogen is still getting in to the box.From reading other post some people can close all of there oxogen off and there fires goes out. If and I say IF I had a chimney fire how can I stop the oxogen going up the flue?

Is that true should all stoves have some type of oxogen shut off..Is there some type of flue for the 6"stainless liner that would stop the oxogen from going up the flue should I have one In case of a chimney fire.
I like all Q-A

I'm sure someone with the same stove will tell you where the other inlet is hidden. This smothering will usually quiet a run away stove fire but there is only one best course of action for a chimney fire. Call 911, let the fire dept. do their job. It's easy to panic and get hurt or aggravate the condition. Stand outside, keep everyone safe and hope that your fire insurance is paid. Most depts. around here will send men inside with dry chem. for the stove while others go to the roof with baggies full of dry chem. This usually puts the fire out fast. They will then empty the stove, use the thermal imaging camera and check for any fire extension into the walls. They usually will recommend checking the chimney for cracks etc. by employing a good chimney sweep before relighting the stove. Better to be safe than....
Ed

I have been wondering this myself!If the stove damper will close all the way and you know where the air intake areas are then maybe taking wet towels and placing them over the areas of air intake would starve the fire and smother it out.

BeGreen said:
You can't completely close off the secondary air supply on an EPA stove unless you've modified the secondary intake or devised some sort of shutoff on the OAK.
My thing is I only have one control on the insert.There is no secondary control>
I installed the Insert my self and I thought I would of seen the secondary control but I didnt. On the Napolean controls there is a rod under the insert. On the rod there is two plates that slide and cover two small holes 1"x2"when I closed the rod It doesnt cover the holes all the way it leaves a gap about a quater of a inch.I paid this no mind untill I put some really dry wood in the insert and The temp really got high and I couldnt shut it down is there a secondary control that I should now about. There wasnt any thing in the owners manual

stanleyjohn said:
I have been wondering this myself!If the stove damper will close all the way and you know where the air intake areas are then maybe taking wet towels and placing them over the areas of air intake would starve the fire and smother it out.

Just put a sheet of aluminum foil over the secondary intake. The suction will hold it there. A large piece because you do not want foil sucked into the intake where you can't get it back out.

stanleyjohn said:
My air intake is under the Insert and the insert sits about 3/4 off the brick.I guess You could try and cover that gap with wet towls
MY thing is should I have the option to close the oxygen off just in case I had a run a way fire.
Im thinking of putting a post up to see if there other Napoleons out there with this thought

BrotherBart said:
stanleyjohn said:

Just put a sheet of aluminum foil over the secondary intake. The suction will hold it there. A large piece because you do not want foil sucked into the intake where you can't get it back out.
On the napolean insert the intakes are under the stove and really hard to get to I wish I had the option of using your idea with the tin I would feal safer if i could shut it down

Yes, this is an issue on an insert and on stoves that have the secondary air intake behind the heat shield. On our Jotul one could access the OAK intake on the underside of the stove and block that. But the insert intake can be blocked if there is an exterior outside air intake that one can easily get to from the outside of the house.

hilly said:
Woodsie,

Stu: are you saying that you don`t cover between May and Oct? I cover the tops of my rows,seems to be just to much moisture that is unpredictable even in those months. And the secondary burn is right on the money-too hot I think for much creosote to form.

I would say to shut down as much air intake as you can.

We have had several chimney fires over the years with no ill effects other than the roar of them going up the chimney. They make a chimney fire stick which emmits a chemical that removes the oxygen from the fire and helps put it out. Of course you have to ignite it and throw it into the stove, then close the door again. I have one but never used it. These fires happen quickly and you may not be near the stove to catch it in time. They don't last long either so you may have one and never know it. Another good reason to inspect your chimney yearly or have someone else do it. In my opinion I think most properly installed chimneys can stand a chimney fire with little damage. The biggest concern is cracking of flue liners in cement block chimneys, roof fires, or inside wall or attic fires from not following the proper clearances.

No fun to experience and scary. With the several we have had we didn't have to call the fire department or do anything other than wait a few minutes for them to burn out. Now if your chimney was completely full of creasote you may have more of a problem but if they burn out with a little creasote present they probably won't be to catostraphic.

Just relating our expereiences with chimney fires and may not reflect the opinion of the local fire department or city officials. :red:

Like many have said here!if you burn your wood hot and dry!clean the liner or flume once a year!you shouldn't ever have a chimney fire.Reading all about chimney fires here has got me alittle paranoid! but it will also keep my guard up on proper fires and maintenance.A plane crashes,i still fly!a car crashes!i still drive!things will happen but the odds that it will happen to you are pretty small if you use common sense.Too many times i see others hide their heads in the sand because of something that has always happened before gets blown out of proportion.So with this said! Use common sense and enjoy the fire.

I burn dry wood, clean the chimney halfway and at the end of the season. If I ever have a chimney fire I would throw a damp log in or baking soda and get the heck outa there!

Status
Not open for further replies.