If you could only have one wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Black locust. Highest BTU's in my area, fastest seasoning.

Not even a contest,,,,, red oak
Burns good, splits good, sells good, although I have customers who walk by the oak and want ash.

Reactions: etiger2007
White oak. Best burning, longest lasting wood I've ever burned in my stove, well insert actually.

Black birch. Burns hotter than anything I've burnt, leaves a medium size coal bed, seasons in 18 months, smells fantastic when cutting, smells great when burning, and excellent burn times.

Reactions: BEConklin and Slow1
Shagbark Hickory.
Excellent heat, coals great, long burning, doesn't take 4 score and 7 years to season and it works great to cook over.
Lights easy, splits easy and minimal ash.

Shagbark Hickory.
Excellent heat, coals great, long burning, doesn't take 4 score and 7 years to season and it works great to cook over.
Lights easy, splits easy and minimal ash.

That's one that grows all around me but I've yet to get any of it.;hm

That's one that grows all around me but I've yet to get any of it.;hm
Try it, you'll like it.
I would give away every stick of my white oak if it was replaced with shaggy.

Ash. Not the best BTU values perhaps, but it has a low moisture content when green so it's relatively light when splitting and stacking, splits easily, splinters aren't too nasty, has no offensive smells and it dries quickly. I live on a small urban lot, and there's nowhere to store three years worth of wood of a single species, so many of the higher-BTU woods are out.

Ash. Not the best BTU values perhaps, but it has a low moisture content when green so it's relatively light when splitting and stacking, splits easily, splinters aren't too nasty, has no offensive smells and it dries quickly. I live on a small urban lot, and there's nowhere to store three years worth of wood of a single species, so many of the higher-BTU woods are out.

Probably the best all-around "utility" wood, too; works as kindling, quarter-splits and larger pieces.......

I would choose Maple for the same reasons stated above, and if it was the only wood that I had it wouldn't roast me out of the house if it was shoulder season like some others but it also would be decent in real cold weather.

My other "smart ass" answer would've been "dry"......::-) :p

I need to try some hickory , I have some shag bark in the woods but have yet to burn it .

Reactions: Jags
White Ash.
Small crown, easy to fell. Will not hang up like the Oak's, Hickory's,and Maple's
Split's easy. season's quickly, burns clean and hot.
Downside bark is messy.

Try it, you'll like it.

I've only got two shags on my land so I like to keep them for a while. Kinda like having money in a mason jar buried in the back yard. But when the time's right it's, timberrrrrrr!

Based on my experience I have to go with bur oak. Cuts and splits ok and burns long.

Hard maple is a close second. I haven't burned much of it as it is scarce here, but it splits easier and burns good.

Green ash would be 3rd as it dries fast, burns good, but splits a little hard sometimes.

I like black locust. I might go with red oak though because it can burn very nicely by itself. Strictly locust,
Not as good.

Bur oak: incredibly hot, good coals, splits nicely. The logs also make good furniture, too!

I've only got two shags on my land so I like to keep them for a while. Kinda like having money in a mason jar buried in the back yard. But when the time's right it's, timberrrrrrr!

As long as you have a supply of your beloved Cherry wood those Hickory's have nothing to worry about....;lol :cool:

From reading posts on here and where some of you fellas are located it sounds like you almost already only have one wood to burn-Pine! Wish I could ship some nice hardwoods to you all so you could experience how they burn.

Red oak, with black locust a close second. The tiebreaker being smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.