If you dont have draft add more air!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tjernlund-A...ash=item45edaa372f&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Another comical attempt to help people with draft issues. Simply attach a blower to your singlewall pipe and blow air in it, I fail to see how this will help draft issues, but I guess a sucker is born every minute. You would think it would just blow the smoke back out of the stove into your living space in greater volume than before since you are not heating up the pipe but cooling it down.

these fans that they are talking about wouldn't add air, they would just move whats in the smoke pipe. i see these in large commercial oil burners. normally i see theme in 12, 14 and 18 inch smoke pipes. they make a artificial draft. so if you had one on your woodstove when you open the door of your stove you would feel a air being pulled in even if the stove was stone cold.
i think it would make a great stove starter :gulp:
i would have to see one in action, but in my opinion i think that it would minimum make you use more wood than normal and or overfire your stove.

Draft inducers have been around for quite awhile and Tjernlund is a standard. Many pellet stoves and high efficiency gas/oil furnaces use a variation on these units. That said, I wouldn't want one on my stove pipe unless there was no alternative. But then I like a quiet stove and we have several power outages a year.

I looked into one of these and more specifically one that sat on top of my chimney and had a cover. That was back when I had an old silent flame insert slammed into my fireplace. Once I relined and put in the Lopi, I've had no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.