If you had the choice between natural gas conversion or stove what would you do??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
I was given a price for natural gas conversion (we have gas in the house) of $3600 for everything.. My stove with 2 tons of pellets is $4000.. would you do the gas conversion or stick with the stove....I know that the stove is not my main heat source but is going to help me not have to turn on the oil furnace as much.. I had my mind made up but then got the price for the conversion and now am doubting myself again...

You didn't say if you bought the stove or not???

But, in general, I would not compare these two things. There is a vast difference between setting a thermostat and hauling a couple tons of pellets, scraping your pot, etc.

My general opinion is that, for most, a pellet stove is an add-on luxury....an optional purchase. Whereas a conversion to gas is really a capital improvement on the house.

Also, other things come into play. Is your other (oil) furnace old and in need of replacement soon anyway? Do you travel or go away often? A pellet stove is mostly for attended operation.

In terms of a rational heating decision (other factors aside), I would certain consider the gas conversion a better long term investment. Example: if you sell your house in a few years, the gas will be of a lot of value but many buyers might not want to fiddle with pellets.

FYI, I heated my 2600 sq ft house, hot water (lots) - plus gas cooking and a gas dryer....for about $250 a month in the cold weather.

Natural Gas because of its potential for co-generation.

BasicsMicroCHOrevIntro1000px.jpg

http://www.marathonengine.com/cogeneration.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1114/p01s02-usec.html

That's COOL! I was wondering what ever happened to that engine design. CHP hasn't really caught on yet as energy prices have been too low to make it pay. NG is too valuable a commodity to burn for just heat, IMHO.

I'm hearing NG prices are about to take off, but time will tell. They just hit an all time high a few weeks back, but have since dropped back. CNG is back to $2.07 from $2.63 in one month.

Chris

Lot of NG drilling going on in PA, WV and other areas. Prices have stayed pretty low at the consumer end, usually the equiv of $2.00 to $3.00 a gallon oil - not bad in this day and age.

Just FYI, stove dealers in the NE are already reporting a slowdown just in the last few days based on $4 oil as opposed to $4.50. Very fickle, indeed. At $3.50, things should return to "normal" - if prices fall to $3.25 or $3.00, I think we will have a repeat of overstocks (once initial demand is satisfied, stoves will build up in inventory).

Of course, some depends in the price of pellets - which appear to already be coming down in some markets. If pellets can be found at $200 to $250, it will help them be competitive.

Whether or not the recent oil prices were a "bubble" remains to be seen.....

Status
Not open for further replies.