If you like a good Bloody Mary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I've tried all sorts. Like to order them at restaurants. Have made a handful of recipes found all over. But, I just have to tell you that my absolute new favorite is this Zing Zang stuff I bought at WalMart. I grabbed it because it was cheap, but it has to be the best stuff ever. I wish it was a little spicier, but I can add my own spicy. Wayyy better than Mr&Mrs; Ts stuff, even their bold and spicy one.

I don't normally go around telling people about stupid little products, but this is just so good that I had to share. It is definitely improving my enjoyment of this already good (so far) GB game on right now...

http://zingzangcom.easystorecreator.com/

I like bad Bloody Marys.

fossil said:
I like bad Bloody Marys.
Dangit! As I was typing that I just knew someone would say that! I just wasn't sure who. Not surprised it was you, lol.

One of my favorites, mostly because it seems socially acceptable to have one at 7am.

I'll have to put that on the grocery list. Usually make my own from scratch, but I'm not above trying a mix.

pen

Try it, because I'm curious to hear what someone else who actually likes to drink them says. I'm just about the only person I know that ever has them, so I'm not sure if my tastes are unique on this one.

I drink Bloody Marys with gin, not vodka.

Oh gosh, some 20+ years ago I had occasion to enjoy Bloody Marys in airports all around the Pacific Rim...from San Diego to Thailand...while waiting for morning flights to somewhere else on the Pacific Rim. I like them plenty, but I never asked what was in any of them, nor did I keep any sort of log of my experiences. Since I never make one for myself, I'm always at the mercy of my host(ess). If it's not spicy enough, I just ask for some Tabasco. Everyone has a bottle of Tabasco. Only the Cajuns buy the big ones. I once heard somone remark about another couple that they'd been married so long they were on their second bottle of Tabasco. :lol: Rick

BrotherBart said:
I drink Bloody Marys with gin, not vodka.

Made them that way too. I have no opposition to gin, so it's a mood thing for me. W/ guests over, vodka would go in.

Only ever had one BAD bloody mary. Generally, a lackluster version can be drinkable so long as the bottle of Tabasco is within reach. However, one of the local VFW's used to give you a free bloody mary as your first drink if you came in before noon on Sunday (made for a long day.). Anyway, the drink wasn't worth free. They ruined it w/ a Old Bay seasoning, and not just a little either. I don't mind old bay if doing a shrimp boil, but keep it to hell away from my bloody mary!

pen

Gin or vodka, either way is ok with me.

As for this Tobasco thing, I used to go through that stuff like a small bottle every other week, then bough the ginger bottles, but my new favorite is better flavor and a little hotter than Tabasco is called El Yucateco... I think I spelled that right. I'll google it for ya...

I prefer the horse radish, my self. And no gin. Yuckko :)

Lady I used to work with always had a bottle of Tabasco in her purse. When she worked in New York she had a Bloody Mary with lunch every day and the bar tender knew her and loaded it with the stuff. One day a new person joined them. And the waiter mixed up the drinks and... :ahhh:

Bloody Marys are good, Bloody Caesars are better. Use clamato juice instead of tomato juice. Learned these from some of my friends over in Atlantic Canada, eh?, years ago, eh?.

Not a fan of Blood Marys. Primarily due to once instance where someone handed me one made with pasta sauce. Kind of hard to wipe that from your memory.

hossthehermit said:
Bloody Marys are good, Bloody Caesars are better. Use clamato juice instead of tomato juice. Learned these from some of my friends over in Atlantic Canada, eh?, years ago, eh?.

Clamato is yuccko, too. Yuccko on the sea food thing (unless it's "see food" ;-) )

BrowningBAR said:
Not a fan of Blood Marys. Primarily due to once instance where someone handed me one made with pasta sauce. Kind of hard to wipe that from your memory.

I hear ya. Kinda like having morning sickness in the afternoon, after eating a tuna sammich.

Really bad times
action-smiley-034.gif

I love the horseradish also.

Also +1 to the clamato! I have a friend that only drinks beer w/ a bottle of clamato nearby. Pours beer in glass 3/4-7/8 full then tops w/ clamato. He will use tomato juice in a pinch or of course blood mary's if we have them mixed up (5 gallon bucket is the preferred vessel at camp). If neither is available, he'll chew down about 2 beers and call it quits.

pen

pen said:

Also +1 to the clamato! I have a friend that only drinks beer w/ a bottle of clamato nearby. Pours beer in glass 3/4-7/8 full then tops w/ clamato. He will use tomato juice in a pinch or of course blood mary's if we have them mixed up (5 gallon bucket is the preferred vessel at camp). If neither is available, he'll chew down about 2 beers and call it quits.

pen
They actually make a Budlight mixed with clamato that you can buy. It's not too bad.

Cowards, the lot of ya
roll.gif

Danno77 said:
pen said:

pen
They actually make a Budlight mixed with clamato that you can buy. It's not too bad.

Yea, not bad (didn't hurt me) for what it is but is a bit watery for my taste. Bet the guy I mentioned wouldn't mind it a bit though.

pen

Gin? Really? Doesn't sound too good to me right after I just had a big snifter of cognac, but I'm up for giving it a try.

I like mine with celery salt, pepper, a dash of "BK's Own" habanero sauce, a bit of horseradish (Junius if I can find it), plain tomato juice and lots of ice. With a celery stick stuck in the glass. Not too hot, just tangy. The habanero sauce isn't just hot, it has a fantastic taste as well, really adds that special something to the concoction.

Oh... Tito's vodka is my favorite for a Bloody Mary.

Danno77 said:
Gin or vodka, either way is ok with me.

As for this Tobasco thing, I used to go through that stuff like a small bottle every other week, then bough the ginger bottles, but my new favorite is better flavor and a little hotter than Tabasco is called El Yucateco... I think I spelled that right. I'll google it for ya...

Ever try Cholula peppers & garlic sauce? Serious sustained hit on the taste-buds. My new fave.

Been using Zing-Zang for a few years now. I have introduced many to it. I don't use Tabasco sauce as the stuff is next to catsup to me. I am with BK in the habanero world (or ghost peppers). I don't want it hot just for hots' sake, but I love the flavor of the habs. Oh - and for the mixing, I prefer Boru or Svedka. About the same price or a nickle more than Smirnoff, but a cut above. (don't take this wrong - it ain't no Grey Goose, but its not too bad).

And throw the salad bar and/or anything pickled at it with a nice cold shrimp hanging off the glass.

Jags said:
Been using Zing-Zang for a few years now. I have introduced many to it. I don't use Tabasco sauce as the stuff is next to catsup to me. I am with BK in the habanero world (or ghost peppers). I don't want it hot just for hots' sake, but I love the flavor of the habs. Oh - and for the mixing, I prefer Boru or Svedka. About the same price or a nickle more than Smirnoff, but a cut above. (don't take this wrong - it ain't no Grey Goose, but its not too bad).

And throw the salad bar and/or anything pickled at it with a nice cold shrimp hanging off the glass.
+100 for everything you just said.

That Zing Zang I had yesterday had Smirnoff (willing to try Boru or Svedka when run out) a pickle, a green onion, a peperoncini, some celery, and a slice of sausage in it.

I've never had shrimp in mine, but my cousin introduced the idea of sausage in it and I love it. I googled that and found out that some people call that a "Slutty Mary." drink names are a little funny, but usually embarrassing to order in front of your family. I like it much better when it has a famous actors name...but whadyagonnado?

Danno77 said:
but my cousin introduced the idea of sausage in it and I love it.

Try a Slim Jim next time ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.