If you were me! Rebuild Husky 350?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I have my old Husky 350.
It worked fine until some thing caused it to stop running.
Held the saw by pull rope and watched it drop to the end of rope.
Was told scorched piston.
DSCN0655640x480_zps2f323b94.jpg

Will also need a coil.
Would you rebuild or keep it for parts for my other 350?
How much would it cost and were to get parts?
Should I port it, muffler mod while its apart?
All opinions welcome.
Sean

Sean, you're losing saws quick man! ;)

Unless you really want to "play" with that 350, I'd be looking to replace it with a 346XP or similar. If you're really on a budget, I've seen good Stihl 026's on CL for less than $250. Hard to kill too. ;)

Complete top-end kits for the 340, 346XP, 345, 350 are avail for about $50 but I'd be wary about using them on a saw I was going to rely on everyday.

The 350 has been in the shed for a couple years. I replaced it with another 350 (did not know about this site) so I could still use bar and chains.The new one has a primer bulb.So now I have a 142 and 350 witch run great. I think after looking and asking will not rebuild old 350!
Sean

Sean - how old is it? How hard was it used? Just curious becuae I have a 350 that is about 5yrs old and has 20 or so cord on it. It was a gift and was curious how long I can expect this saw to last. I really like it but have very little to compare it too as it is the olny saw I have ever owned. I do find it to be COLD blooded to start on the first go but after that it starts with one or two pulls and cuts all day. I have read the cold first start thing is pretty normal for this saw but was curious what others on here have discovered.

3 to 4 years old (new one) Old one I bought after the Mac parts were hard & $ to find.
New one runs great.Fingers crossed!
Sean

The 350 has been in the shed for a couple years. I replaced it with another 350 (did not know about this site) so I could still use bar and chains.The new one has a primer bulb.So now I have a 142 and 350 witch run great. I think after looking and asking will not rebuild old 350!
Sean
346XP should run those same bars & chains. ;)

Are you running oil in your mix? That looks straight gassed.

I wouldn't consider a rebuild until you find out exactly what caused the carnage.

Reactions: n6crv
I think after looking and asking will not rebuild old 350!

My advice for you would be to keep it for parts if you have another one.

If you didn't have another one, I'd buy a different saw and rebuild this one as time permits, maybe even using "used" piston, etc from fleabay.

Perhaps use the ol' 350 as a trade in . . . I know my local Husky dealer will occasionally offer $__ for any saw . . . "dead or alive".

Status
Not open for further replies.