If you were replacing your current stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rich2500

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Berks County PA.
what would you buy this time around.I personally considered a ST. Croix element but after reading about all the cracks and crevices that need cleaning I think I would buy the Serenity again.I'm partial to the european styling and being a corner install my options are limited by a smaller footprint and side clearence minimums.I could easily close off the current holes and relocate the stove but that would mean either venting up through the ceiling or out the front of the house which neither I would do.

Last edited:
Done the⬇️, I guess I would try the ⬆️​

I'd seal up my damper and put an oil furnace in.

I have a Quadrafire Castile insert now, really haven't had it long and really don't have any issues with it at all. I would try a Harman for my next one, just because I've never had one before, and the Harman nuts (I mean loyal customers) think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe I'd become a nut too...it will be a few years, or until we move until I can upgrade though.:p

Well this Harman Nut would definitely buy another Harman. Then I'd have a set of nuts. Wait, I already do...........;) A ball bag and 2 Wonderful Harman stoves. Must have that one covered. Both of''em.;lol

No doubt I'd get another Afton Bay. Burns any pellets I put in, simple and easy to maintain, great design. Air noise is my only complaint, but moving air makes noise.

Reactions: F4jock
Harman

Well this Harman Nut would definitely buy another Harman. Then I'd have a set of nuts. Wait, I already do...........;) A ball bag and 2 Wonderful Harman stoves. Must have that one covered. Both of''em.;lol

Well now, I think the expression on Mr. Orange here says it all...

10x4p06.jpg

I can't chime in on this debate, having just purchased a stove recently. But the reason I bought a Harman was all of my friends told me to, even if they were running another make.

what would you buy this time around.I personally considered a ST. Croix element but after reading about all the cracks and crevices that need cleaning I think I would buy the Serenity again.I'm partial to the european styling and being a corner install my options are limited by a smaller footprint and side clearence minimums.I could easily close off the current holes and relocate the stove but that would mean either venting up through the ceiling or out the front of the house which neither I would do.

Well, since this is my first year with the serenity...kind of hard to say I would purchase a different stove. I think though if there was a stove with a feature that shut the stove off completely when the temperature reached a certain degree and then turned itself back on...that's something I would like...it would be helpful in those months when it's really not hot enough for the stove to be on, but too cold with it off.

Hmmm, weeeell, maybe................. No, it would be another Harman.

Reactions: Cory S and bags
I think though if there was a stove with a feature that shut the stove off completely when the temperature reached a certain degree and then turned itself back on...that's something I would like...it would be helpful in those months when it's really not hot enough for the stove to be on, but too cold with it off.
A Harman would do that for ya! Hence the set it and forget. They run like a central HVAC system on stat practically and will keep your space usually within a degree or two of your desired set temp. I have had just such great performance and ease of use I would stick with them. Just because.....

Not saying I would not entertain others for certain applications or a bargain price. I almost bought a Cab 50 unttil the PC45 popped up on CL last minute for $1,600.

Reactions: bogieb
By the way, I did have a second time around. Got the P61a first and really loved it, but when it came time to get a stove for the main floor, I got a Hastings (right price at the right time - and beautiful for sitting in the living room). Loved the looks and even though it was a great stove, it didn't fit my circumstances as well as I would like. Finally found a great deal on the P43 and bought that last spring. Didn't get the Hastings sold until late summer. But, the only stove I would have replaced that Hastings with was a Harman - wasn't looking at anything else.

A Harman would do that for ya! Hence the set it and forget. They run like a central HVAC system on stat practically and will keep your space usually within a degree or two of your desired set temp. I have had just such great performance and ease of use I would stick with them. Just because.....

Not saying I would not entertain others for certain applications or a bargain price. I almost bought a Cab 50 unttil the PC45 popped up on CL last minute for $1,600.

Nice to know...when I am ready for a new stove in hopefully quite a few years, I will check them out.

Reactions: bogieb and bags
I'm pretty biased but wouldn't hesitate to buy the Element if it suits your needs. Running a St Croix Prescott and Lancaster, both are great flexible and efficient stoves. Also have a P61a that gets used once in a while, but its a pellet hog compared to the Prescott when keeping house at same temp. Also have a cab50 on the family this year, and for the price and capacity its a good stove.

Reactions: bags
Reactions: F4jock
I just looked at the prices...I will have to start a pellet stove upgrade fund....
You better start saving now if you plan to buy a Harman in about 20 yrs.:) Like you said though about a stove that shuts down when it reaches temp is why I considered a different stove but then I think back to why I bought a Pellet stove to begin with is because I was tired of the warm then cool from the oil burner so why buy a stove to do what I can already do with my oil burner.The constant warmth of the pellet stove is what I like best.When it's not cold enough for the Pellet stove I just let the oil burner do it's thing and so far this year the oil burner has gotten more use then the Pellet stove.

Last edited:
I'm pretty biased but wouldn't hesitate to buy the Element if it suits your needs. Running a St Croix Prescott and Lancaster, both are great flexible and efficient stoves. Also have a P61a that gets used once in a while, but its a pellet hog compared to the Prescott when keeping house at same temp. Also have a cab50 on the family this year, and for the price and capacity its a good stove.
Pretty sure the Element would be the stove I would probably go with if I ever decided to get a different stove.Would be plenty of Stove for my house.I wish they still made the Lancaster I like that stove.

I thought real hard on a Prescott, St Croix makes a nice stove too. But the ease of cleaning won on the Harman and the little extra heating capacity. It is true that the P61 can use more pellets than some stoves but then it isn't fussy about what it burns either. So everything is a trade off.

Had the Quad Castile and never gave me a problem. When I demoed the Accentra it was hands down a tank of a stove. Never looked back.

You better start saving now if you plan to buy a Harman in about 20 yrs.:) Like you said though about a stove that shuts down when it reaches temp is why I considered a different stove but then I think back to why I bought a Pellet stove to begin with is because I was tired of the warm then cool from the oil burner so why buy a stove to do what I can already do with my oil burner.The constant warmth of the pellet stove is what I like best.When it's not cold enough for the Pellet stove I just let the oil burner do it's thing and so far this year the oil burner has gotten more use then the Pellet stove.
Harmans can be set to run Constant so there is no warm up then cool down [like an Oil Furnace]...... it's the main reason I bought one.

Reactions: bags
A Harman would not work for my install they need too much side clearance nor do I like the looks of any of their stoves

Reactions: GT_Sharp
Status
Not open for further replies.