If you were replacing your current stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd buy a BK Ashford 30, again, but insist they move the ash plug hole to a functional location, or just use the ash pan space for a deeper firebox, before buying another. Great stove, but the as plug is not centered over the ash pan!

I'd buy a BK Ashford 30, again, but insist they move the ash plug hole to a functional location, or just use the ash pan space for a deeper firebox, before buying another. Great stove, but the as plug is not centered over the ash pan!
Someday when I build my freestanding workshop, I'll move my Piazzetta Sabrina out there, and consider replacing it with a Biowin Firewin, which is the model that looks like a european pellet stove, but can be automatically fed by a vacuum system from a bulk pellet storage bin and I think has cleaning capability like their pellet furnaces. That to me, would be ideal.

Reactions: rich2500
The old Magnum Countryside is still being sold with a couple of changes to the feed system and burns straight corn but no auto ignition system and a PIA to keep clean.
Hey Bioburner, I have a 3500 magnum now, bought used $350! Got the new cast iron pot. What update are new on that stove/ and can they be used on this old girl? I also have some parts from another 6500. And I still have the Baby from IBC days.

Sounds like you have the update, the cast pot. They changed the auger drive. That's what I got when I called to help clarify some ?s on someones stove early in this heating season.

I've had good luck with the Enviro M55....there are ups and downs for all the different models and designs. From what I gather, Harman and Quad are the same company now. I liked both of them but the agitator design made sense to me and does the job. The real question for me would be whether I would do pellet again or not.

With the new compressed logs/bricks from barefoot and other good companies and long burning catalyst stoves like the blazeking it would be a tough call for me.

Reactions: bogieb
Hello
Harman, Quad and Pelpro are the same company called HHT - Home and Hearth Technologies. I like my 2 Harman P61a-2s and my Harman Advance and my Quad Contour with the pie warming compartment. Also I found and old 1997 PP38plus for $100 and after installing a new exhaust blower, it burns like brand new!
See pics here
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-pp38-not-feeding-pellets.153498/
They just will not die!

Last edited:
I would buy a newer Ecoteck/Ravelli stove, with the RDS feature. Or a Austroflam Rika stove...if they were only available in the US:(

People seem to forget that normal maintenance might require you to crawl around on each side for cleaning purposes or some maintenance. As I get older this requires more room. disconnecting the exh pipe to move the stove so you can work on it creates a major mess with some stoves. Just a few things to think about.

Reactions: FirepotPete
what would you buy this time around.I personally considered a ST. Croix element but after reading about all the cracks and crevices that need cleaning I think I would buy the Serenity again.I'm partial to the european styling and being a corner install my options are limited by a smaller footprint and side clearence minimums..
I`d consider the Castle Serenity under a grand since pellet stoves are space heaters and in no way outperform a good central heat furnace or should they cost as much.
All the Castle reviews I`ve read are positive . I`ve always liked the US made Englander and their service but IMO most of their models are rather outdated and in dire need of updating .

People seem to forget that normal maintenance might require you to crawl around on each side for cleaning purposes or some maintenance. As I get older this requires more room. disconnecting the exh pipe to move the stove so you can work on it creates a major mess with some stoves. Just a few things to think about.
AMEN to that! 10 years ago when I installed I had the room to double the clearances and did so just because of the ease of accessing the stove for maintenance, especially in the future. The future has proven me right! Arthur in both knees, hips, ankles.

As far as replacing the stove I have now, definitely would be a bio burner. With corn available here I'd be daft not to have the ability to switch back and forth as prices rise and fall. I feel for those on the east coast, not much corn and the price of pellets, wow. West coast you've got decent pellet prices but not the corn.

I`d consider the Castle Serenity under a grand since pellet stoves are space heaters and in no way outperform a good central heat furnace or should they cost as much.
All the Castle reviews I`ve read are positive . I`ve always liked the US made Englander and their service but IMO most of their models are rather outdated and in dire need of updating .
great choice

I would buy a newer Ecoteck/Ravelli stove, with the RDS feature. Or a Austroflam Rika stove...if they were only available in the US:(
exactly what I did with the Ravelli but I gotta say for the price difference the Serenity is still a darn good stove.time will tell how well the Ravelli holds up.

the US made Englander and their service but IMO most of their models are rather outdated and in dire need of updating .
The new model that was very promising got a major kick in the butt with a recall:(

I would not hesitate to purchase another Serenity. I spend a lot of time in my shop and have become quite fond of the Serenity's attributes.

Reactions: rich2500
Status
Not open for further replies.