Igniter electricity draw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
Looking at a back up gen to run my Quadrafire Mt Vernon NON AE and I was wondering how much current the igniter requires? If it's too much is it possible to by pass the igniter and manually light stove with a little alcohol in the pellets?

Your stove w/ igniter is probably no more than 1kw at startup and 3 - 400w while running.

My 1200 is total 621 watts, igniter 380 watts. Yours would be close.

Thanks. The gen I was looking at is 800 watt continous and 900 peak. Cheap chinese from Harbor Freight. Thought it would be worth a shot for the money as long as it will pull the igniter.

Turbo-Quad said:
Thanks. The gen I was looking at is 800 watt continous and 900 peak. Cheap chinese from Harbor Freight. Thought it would be worth a shot for the money as long as it will pull the igniter.
I wouldn't buy that generator to run your stove.

The electronics in your stove require a pure sine wave current... those cheap Chinese generators will destroy the board on your stove. You need a generator with at least a good modified sine wave output to insure the board won't be harmed...

You get what you pay for... they work OK for a light bulb (as long as they work... which isn't long) but not much else.

I agree with Krooser. Will damage controller and will not last long.

Typical pellet stove uses about 375-400 watts during start-up, and between 175-200 watts during normal burning.

Oh, and BTW...I agree with krooser about that chinese generator....don't take a chance.

However, the actual parts on the stove that will suffer aren't really the controller board....the motors need the pure sine wave output and will hum and get hot on modified sine wave like that genny probably puts out.

Turbo-Quad said:

Junk.. typical pulls 300- 400 watts.. and don't get a mail order pellet stove from a magazine.. please at least get an englander so you will have some resemblence of customer support.

Turbo-Quad said:

Junk.. typical pulls 300- 400 watts.. and don't get a mail order pellet stove from a magazine.. please at least get an englander so you will have some resemblence of customer support.

I got a good UPS for my stove (used) and debated hard and long looking at a generator...finally I decided it was a Honda EU ( or equivalent Yamaha) or nothing. Waiting paid off as a new EU2000i here in Canada is about 1500 street price plus taxes..I found a used one with only a few hours on it for 800...I think in the states you can get a new one for 800...BUY IT....don't waste your money on junk.

I have the same stove. My manual says start up 4.1 amps running 1.1 amps
hope this helps :)

krooser said:
Turbo-Quad said:
I wouldn't buy that generator to run your stove.

The electronics in your stove require a pure sine wave current... those cheap Chinese generators will destroy the board on your stove. You need a generator with at least a good modified sine wave output to insure the board won't be harmed...

You get what you pay for... they work OK for a light bulb (as long as they work... which isn't long) but not much else.

Agree. Get a generator that will last as long as your stove. A 1000 watt Honda or Yamaha with an inverter.

The startup on my Quad Castile insert draws 800 watts . After the ignitor shuts off I believe it only takes about 180 - 210 watts to run the blowers and controller.

I would also avoid those cheap Chinese generators, my neighbor bought one of the $89 jobbys' it was supposed to crank out 1000 watts, he attempted to run his refrigerator on it one day this summer during a power outage. He now owns a brand new refrigerator, because the old one cooked when he tried using that generator. He says its ok for light bulbs or cheap fans.

I also dont think you're going to find many generators that dont come from China, but many of them do have the pure sine wave which is what you need for a pellet stove.

Nicholas440 said:
The startup on my Quad Castile insert draws 800 watts . After the ignitor shuts off I believe it only takes about 180 - 210 watts to run the blowers and controller.....
:gulp: I think your a little off on those figures.

From the Castille owners manual:

"D. Electrical Rating
115 VAC, 60 Hz, Start 4.1 Amps, Run 1.1 Amps"

Those equate to approx 490 watts on start-up, and 130 watts normal burning.

Bought a boliy generator 3 years ago and have been very happy with this lightwieght, powerful and quiet little unit ! Runs our RV including the roof air just fine. That is until the better half turned on her blow dryer! LOL! Was recomended and bought from a friend who is an RV service manager, said they were a great unit and have never had a return on one yet. He was right, a nice unit ! Check them out at : boliygenerator.com

@ macman You're right, I didnt check my manual, but not only was I wrong on wattage so was my installer, when i got the Castile I asked how much does it draw and he said about 600 watts on ignition and then somewhere about 180 or so to 210. So I put in a typo and some wrong info too ! I'll have to mention this to the dealer he may have been thinking of another unit and just blurted out some figures. Thanks Macman

Also when I got the unit I bid on 2 large inverters on Ebay and would you know it, I won both of them! Alas, they are modified sine wave however and I wouldnt chance them on my unit. Pure sine wave is all I''ll put on my computers, tv's, and pellet stove.

Pure sine wave, eh. OK. I'll be looking for something reasonbly priced. $800 is a bit more then I have in my stove and I',m a tight wad so I'll probably be looking for used or an inverter to make my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.