Igniter not working Englander 25-PDVC/55 Tempco cartridge compatible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Churilla

May 14, 2013
pittsburgh PA
I was advised here on the forum that the following part would be compatible and work in my Englander--
TEMPCO, HDC00317, Swaged Cartridge Heater,57W/sq.", Voltage 120, 5"L, 300 Watts.
And to verify this I checked with Tempco and this is the reply I received--

Good Day,

I suggest contacted England Stove in VA directly 800-516-3636 for actual replacement heater

as the pellet stove igniters we make for them have many custom aspects that the stated std

heaters do not.

Best Regards

Tempco

any thoughts on this part? Anyone use this with success?

I was advised here on the forum that the following part would be compatible and work in my Englander--
TEMPCO, HDC00317, Swaged Cartridge Heater,57W/sq.", Voltage 120, 5"L, 300 Watts.
And to verify this I checked with Tempco and this is the reply I received--

Good Day,

I suggest contacted England Stove in VA directly 800-516-3636 for actual replacement heater

as the pellet stove igniters we make for them have many custom aspects that the stated std

heaters do not.

Best Regards

Tempco

any thoughts on this part? Anyone use this with success?

Hello
They are correct about a custom aspect.
The Tempco cartridge heater above is the correct wattage and will work, However the Englander Igniter has a collar around the base of the cartridge which holds the igniter into the stove. The set bolt in the stove tightens down onto this collar thus holding the igniter in the igniter tube securely. It is possible to bang the collar off the old igniter using PB Blaster and put it on the Tempco cartridge heater and slide it into the stove. I have done it successfully. However it is not that easy to do. Good Luck

Hello
They are correct about a custom aspect.
The Tempco cartridge heater above is the correct wattage and will work, However the Englander Igniter has a collar around the base of the cartridge which holds the igniter into the stove. The set bolt in the stove tightens down onto this collar thus holding the igniter in the igniter tube securely. It is possible to bang the collar off the old igniter using PB Blaster and put it on the Tempco cartridge heater and slide it into the stove. I have done it successfully. However it is not that easy to do. Good Luck

Thanks--that's what I figured they meant when they said custom. I did buy the Tempco from Grainger and will make it work.

If you can't get the collar off the old igniter, a drill collar works just fine.
There is also a thin wire on the igniter that locates the collar. Your new igniter won't have one. Position the igniter by pushing it in all the way and then back it out until you have a gap for air to flow through (somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8"). It is the flow of hot air that actually ignites the pellets.

finished it with no issues and it worked fine. The old one had an integral collar along with another that was held in place with a set screw. The old igniter had a warp in it, but I got the removable collar off and measured it's location from the old one. Positioned it on the new one and slid it into the housing and locked it in. Spliced the old leads on and fired it up--worked like a charm. Thanks to all that replied with suggestions--

Thanks for posting the Tempco # and the follow up install. Another option for replacement:)

finished it with no issues and it worked fine. The old one had an integral collar along with another that was held in place with a set screw. The old igniter had a warp in it, but I got the removable collar off and measured it's location from the old one. Positioned it on the new one and slid it into the housing and locked it in. Spliced the old leads on and fired it up--worked like a charm. Thanks to all that replied with suggestions--
I hope that you used crimp splices. Solder is not safe on heater leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.