IGNITERS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wil said:
Jay,
I'm quite sure the Harman igniter and air pump is the one in this link. Click on, in line heaters, click on in line process heater, part # HAC 00007(pg 3). The Harman igniter, the end of the igniter is threaded, 1/4" pipe thread to thread into a fitting. I believe Harman has Tempco thread the end of the igniter. I know the the Harman igniter is from Tempco, its stamped on the igniter.

http://www.tempco.com/

Enviro is using Furnam's

http://www.farnam-custom.com/air_heaters/heatTorch075.php

I found one here for $145.00, Part number is HT075-400-120-1/8F-NF-X. No mods needed either.

http://www.abbeon.com/store/item.cfm?code=HT075

Save's me close to $75.00 and it is the exact same as OEM. Interesting markup on these pellet stove replacement parts. Funny how much you can save with a bit of digging on the internet. Still looking into the replacement air pump. Just FYI for some of the others.

Wil,

That sounds great. It looks like we are going to sell this house and build another one. I'm going to put in another PB105 and I'll make certain it has the new ignition system. I was going to try to get this one replaced under warranty, but I dont' want to be in the middle of trying to get the igniter replaced and then have the house sell.

wil said:
Andrew Churchill said:
Wil,

How do you like the new ignition system?
It is awesome, almost instant ignition. I'm a little concerned now that Jay has had an issue with a air pump failure. Humm, I'm thinking, maybe that a pressure switch of sort and the wiring should be changed so the igniter will not be powered until the air pump is creating pressure.

That is a good idea. Probably not a hard upgrade either. I think the specs have a minimum pressure listed on my igniter. Something to think about. I like it!

Wil
Thanks for the information! I'm glad that they will be replacing this under warranty. I will hold back just a bit until this is proven to be the ultimate fix. My burn pot was just replaced in Dec and there is already some deflection above the igniter but I have plenty of time to wait to see if this new igniter system is the answer. I'm sure we all will be following this one closely.

How does one access the dip switches? From the control panel I noticed that to the upper left of the feed adjuster knob there is access to a portion of the switch bank but it is covered with the plastic panel decal material. If I carefully remove that portion with an exacto knife will it expose the 3 switches that I need to change?

Centurion said:
How does one access the dip switches? From the control panel I noticed that to the upper left of the feed adjuster knob there is access to a portion of the switch bank but it is covered with the plastic panel decal material. If I carefully remove that portion with an exacto knife will it expose the 3 switches that I need to change?
My boiler is probably an older vintage (mfg 12/06), has no decal, 4 switches are exposed in the CB mounting plate. If its just a decal, I would remove it to expose the switches for positioning.

Bill, how pleased were you with the LG pellets. Pellets .com had them for sale this winter at 199.00/ton. Really not a bad price. Thanks for your input.

No problems with LG all winter, I still have about 2 tons left and it apears that we have reached the end of the heating season!

wil said:
I found this the other day, thought I would share the info for those that may have an interest.

http://www.heatersplus.com/products/cartridg.htm

I also found this calculator to help determine what the igniter wattage is of a particular stove.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

If you can determine the diameter, the length of the igniter, and the wattage, IMHO, the costs of igniters can be much less.

EDIT: This is another link to help determine what igniter is needed.

http://www.chromalox.com/productcat...aters/Cartridge/CIR/model-details.aspx?m=3253

p.4064-4065 in the Grainger Catalog, Process Heating Cartridge Heaters $21.20-$44.60 ...wicked easy to match up if you bring one in.

Do these heaters come with fins? or are the fins not really needed?

Bill Bennion said:
Do these heaters come with fins? or are the fins not realy needed?

Finned heaters in the Grainger Catalog are on p.4058-4059, completely different. I see you have a Harmon boiler...your cartridge heater rests inside a circular fin, yes? The igniter is removable and slips inside the fin assembly.

Bill Bennion said:
Do these heaters come with fins? or are the fins not really needed?
IMHO, the fins are required, the ones in the link do not come with the fins installed but I would call to ask if they install the fins and ask the costs. I purchased one thinking I could remove the fins from the old igniter but the ignition system was replaced in my boiler before I had a chance to try to do this.

smwilliamson said:
Bill Bennion said:
Do these heaters come with fins? or are the fins not realy needed?

Finned heaters in the Grainger Catalog are on p.4058-4059, completely different. I see you have a Harmon boiler...your cartridge heater rests inside a circular fin, yes? The igniter is removable and slips inside the fin assembly.

The fins appear to be pressed on the cartridge.

Also had an ignitor go out, then it went out again, then learner of some re-engineering being done that will result in me getting a free ignitor and a new, redesigned burnpot.

Now that they're one company sounds like Harmon and Quadrafire now share some of the same problems.

There's a chance that with this increased airflow burnpot that'll it'll save a little on electricity by demanding less of the ignitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.