I'll Be Home For Christmas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
In our NEW home, that is. :)

Closing is set for 11 AM, Dec. 20. I'm so excited I could pee myself...

... but I won't. :coolsmile:

Congrats. Get that microwave into the new place first.

And leave the Vig there as revenge on the landlord.

BrotherBart said:

New place has a built-in microwave with external exhaust.

And the Vig... heck, he's buying the freakin' thing from me. Probably work one heck of a lot better than the barrel stove he recommended when we moved into the place 21 years ago. :bug:

Gonna be a pellet pig for at least a while. Nice Harmon P-61 in good shape comes with it, with almost three ton of pellets stacked in the basement. So, there goes my "too dry" wood obsession. I guess I'll have to get used to burning wood that is around 6-8% MC... and cut into rounds rather than split. :coolgrin:

Battenkiller said:
In our NEW home, that is. :)

Closing is set for 11 AM, Dec. 20. I'm so excited I could pee myself...

... but I won't. :coolsmile:

December 20th Hanukkah begins at Sundown, congratulations.

gibir

Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:

New place has a built-in microwave with external exhaust.

And the Vig... heck, he's buying the freakin' thing from me. Probably work one heck of a lot better than the barrel stove he recommended when we moved into the place 21 years ago. :bug:

Gonna be a pellet pig for at least a while. Nice Harmon P-61 in good shape comes with it, with almost three ton of pellets stacked in the basement. So, there goes my "too dry" wood obsession. I guess I'll have to get used to burning wood that is around 6-8% MC... and cut into rounds rather than split. :coolgrin:

Congrats BK! I can't wait for some of the discussions in the Pellet Room in which you disect multiple brands of pellets and trace back the type of trees they came from :)
Again, best of luck in the new home!

glad to hear it BK!

pen

Congrats to you and Lady BK--that timing is pretty special. And those pellets will make a nice house-warming present. Can't wait to see the result of your experiments building a holzhausen with them . . .

:ahhh: :) :cheese: :wow: :bug: :coolgrin: :coolcheese: :coolsmile:

As you can see. Glad for ya Batten!

I bet you can move in in two days. That should give you time to get the tree up! :ahhh:

Congrats, man. Don't forget your pen, and do some stretches with your writing hand. I hate closing time.
That P61 is a pretty big unit. Nice that it came with the place.

jeff_t said:
Don't forget your pen, and do some stretches with your writing hand. I hate closing time.

They will give you plenty of pens. What you have to bring is the checkbook.

BrotherBart said:
jeff_t said:
Don't forget your pen, and do some stretches with your writing hand. I hate closing time.

I dunno, things been tight with them in recent years. The only pens you get now are the ones you quietly pocket on the way out the door.
Anywho, Congrats BK - We closed about this time last year - sure is nice to spend Christmas in your own place!

BrotherBart said:

I think we'll need to order new checks by the time we are done. So far all the inspections, appraisals, lawyer, underwriter, deposit, and whatever have totaled over two grand. We just found out we have to pay a full year in advance for homeowner's ins... about $700. Then we have to buy what's left in their oil tank (no idea what that will cost us), and we lost the battle to have the current owners pay for the furnace repair - $500. That's right, the bank is allowing us to buy a house with a defective heating system... right at the beginning of winter.

Then there are the remainder of the closing costs. Haven't got the figure on that yet, put they'll need whatever it is in a cashier's check. Not sure what else, but I'm sure we'll find out in a couple days. USDA "no money down" my arse. I could get a nice used car with what we'll end up paying before we're done.

So, yeah... I'm stealing a pen. :coolsmirk:

Open the get together with my standard line:

"I want everybody to know that I understand all of the great things you are doing for me today. But I also want you to understand that I am the only one in this room writing checks." Two different real estate agents have bought me dinner for that. At the last closing the broker couldn't hold it. She burst out laughing.

But to control a closing you have to be able and prepared to get up and walk. You don't have that option in this one so roll with the punches and get it done.

And be home for Christmas.

Battenkiller said:
Then there are the remainder of the closing costs. Haven't got the figure on that yet, put they'll need whatever it is in a cashier's check. Not sure what else, but I'm sure we'll find out in a couple days. USDA "no money down" my arse. I could get a nice used car with what we'll end up paying before we're done.

So, yeah... I'm stealing a pen. :coolsmirk:

There is more. Don't remember all of the things. I have to brush up before it every time. One though is that even though you won't be making the first months payment you have to pony up the interest until the first payment. Which pretty much amounts to a payment that early in a mortgage.

Congratulations BK. It has been a long wait.

Allrighty to the BK's !!!!!

Congrats !!

PS. BB's giving you some eggsellant advise :)

Ya! Wasn't this place the one with a wood shed already Bat? And a pellet stove? Damn. Hey Batten! He likes it. Hey Batten! :lol:

Congrats BK!! Certainly deserved with all you guys went through. Wait till you get the closing figures and they throw in prepaid interest and property taxes. On ours they even calculated our share of the yearly garbage fee to the day. Matter of fact we almost walked closing day on our lawyers advice as the sellers lawyer didn't cleanup some title issues...but they fixed it.

Btw the 20th is definately a good luck day. My twins turn 1 that day... may that date bring you all the hapiness it has brought us & merry Christmas to you & your family!

jharkin said:
Btw the 20th is definately a good luck day. My twins turn 1 that day... may that date bring you all the hapiness it has brought us & merry Christmas to you & your family!

Nice! I'll be thinking of your younguns when they hand us the keys. And Happy Birthday to them. They must be up on their feet and walking around by now, pulling stuff off the counters and making a mess. It's a beautiful time. Cherish it. :)

So happy to hear some good news BK...cheers to you and Rose..... :)

Congrats BK. Best wishes in your new home and may you never buy one stinkin pellet :lol:

That is great news! I wish you the best of luck with it. Post some pics ASAP. Just in time. Lady BK must be thrilled! Are you gonna be able to host the family for Christmas?

Flatbedford said:
That is great news! I wish you the best of luck with it. Post some pics ASAP. Just in time. Lady BK must be thrilled! Are you gonna be able to host the family for Christmas?

Yup. The whole fandamily will be there, even the youngest down in NC. He's broke, so we had to buy a ticket for him at the last minute. Cost almost $500 to fly him in and back. Worth every penny to have him with us on our happy occasion. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.