Im Addicted!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Been a big weekend for me! Took advantage of the warm weather. Got my wood stove hooked up (englander 30-nc), scrounged some wood up for next year (Im guessing a cord of oak and pecan), and tomorrow some ones bringing a splitter over and were gonna stack. Looking forward to burning wood next year that came from my hard work! Ill add photos when I get my stacks up, gotta show this pretty stove off!

Burning some stuff I had delivered and its a cozy 70 in the house.

Im hooked!

Any one else have a busy 3 day weekend?

Remmy122 said:
Been a big weekend for me! Took advantage of the warm weather. Got my wood stove hooked up (englander 30-nc), scrounged some wood up for next year (Im guessing a cord of oak and pecan), and tomorrow some ones bringing a splitter over and were gonna stack. Looking forward to burning wood next year that came from my hard work! Ill add photos when I get my stacks up, gotta show this pretty stove off!

Im hooked!

"I"m Addicted".....join the club! and yes I had a busy weekend too. See my post... https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/68553/

Remmy122 said:

Im hooked!

Congratulations on your stove Remmy122, your addiction will only get worse!

zap

zapny said:
Remmy122 said:

Im hooked!

zap
+100

Best be saving me some of that pecan.....

zapny said:
Remmy122 said:

Im hooked!

zap

haha totally. :coolsmile: ;-)

Remmy122 I completely understand.

We had our high efficient wood burner installed just after Christmas and was finished last week. It's been 6 days 17 hours since we shut off our Gas furnace and lit our Northstar.
Last night it was about 8* outside and a nice 77* inside! I love not having to pay consumers energy.

Congratulations, you will love your new stove.

Get them pics on here, we'd love to see it......

Remmy, it is a nice healthy addiction to have.

Was pretty cold over the weekend so I took it off. That's another benefit of being way ahead on the wood supply. If the weather isn't to your liking, you just wait until it is and then get more cutting done.

Remmy, is that oak fresh cut green wood, standing dead, or what? If it's fresh cut green it's not likely to be ready to burn next winter.
Even a tree that has been standing dead for years can have a lot of water in it. It doesn't start seasoning until it is split. Oak needs at least two years split and stacked time, preferably three to be right for burning. You might get by for next year if you split it pretty small and have it stacked out where it gets sun and wind all the time. But you'll be a whole lot happier with it if you save it a couple/three years.

Keep up the scrounging and try to get a few years ahead. Maybe you'll find some good dead wood that will be ready to burn next year. Then you can reserve your fresh cut oak for the following year or two.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the board! You'll find many here who openly admit their vice. I too was busy this weekend, but only with keeping the stove and porch loaded up. We did take a walk around the block to see what future supply was provided from the last wind storm. It should prove to be a busy spring!

Congrats on your stove and it does become an addiction my wife says I get obbsesed with my wood cutting but she sure loves the house being warm lol Welcome

Thanks for all the welcoming. The oak was standing dead, I plan on spliting pretty small and setting up in my wind tunnel (between my house and my neighbors, it gets a ton of sun and alot of wind). Well see, what i bought this week to burn wasnt really seasoned, and ive been cursing all day. I dont want to go back down that route. Ill get pics up soon, my wife says I have to clean my mess up before I can post pictures of the house on the internet...

Remmy122 said:
Thanks for all the welcoming. The oak was standing dead, I plan on spliting pretty small and setting up in my wind tunnel (between my house and my neighbors, it gets a ton of sun and alot of wind). Well see, what i bought this week to burn wasnt really seasoned, and ive been cursing all day. I dont want to go back down that route. Ill get pics up soon, my wife says I have to clean my mess up before I can post pictures of the house on the internet...

i know the feeling

Save some of the pecan for grilling or smoking. One of the best woods for these uses. Much too valuable to use in the fireplace.

Stump_Branch said:
Remmy122 said:

i know the feeling

Just realized who this was, HA.

I got plenty of pecan avaliable to me. I probably will save some for the smoker, makes a great christmas ham.

Im strugling with the fact that its going to be in the 40's this week, I guess Im hoping for another cold snap to come through to see what this baby can really do. Until then Ill keep cutting!

No doubt there are many of us who would enjoy some 40 degree temperatures about now. However, we will have to wait a bit longer for those. Hopefully we'll see a couple days like that next month.

Tell yer book club that you won't be attending any more meetings......you have a new hobby now!! Welcome ;-)

Remmy122 said:
Stump_Branch said:
Remmy122 said:

i know the feeling

Just realized who this was, HA.

I got plenty of pecan avaliable to me. I probably will save some for the smoker, makes a great christmas ham.

Im strugling with the fact that its going to be in the 40's this week, I guess Im hoping for another cold snap to come through to see what this baby can really do. Until then Ill keep cutting!

i guess im an enabler

Status
Not open for further replies.