I'm an idiot/why is one side of my chimney hotter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
So for the last couple of seasons I've noticed that the left side of my chimney is warmer than the right. Just a bit. Was worried that I screwed up my liner install. Have swept the chimney multiple times, and never came up with the (very obvious) explanation. Here's a flir image cuz they're fun. Who knows the answer?

Attachments

• tmp_5402-img_thermal_1479735236869285331926.jpg
    tmp_5402-img_thermal_1479735236869285331926.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 172
Here's a flir image cuz they're fun.

Yes, I am sure flir images are loads of fun. But pardon my personal, complete, absolute and udder ignorance, but I have no idea what I am looking at when viewing that image.

Are you concerned about a 24°F difference in your chimney pipe? And was that image rotated 90 degrees (you mentioned the left side, but the temp differences are vertical)? If that is the correct interpretation, I do think.... well... maybe.... you are being a bit over technical. The world is not perfect. Do you have some minor insulation issues? Maybe. But given that temperature difference I would stress the word "minor".

If it is something else, please consider explaining in detail, using simple words for people like me who are not experienced in flir imaging. :)

And no matter what it is at issue here, no, you are not an idiot. You simply have a question. ;)

Last edited:
A burnt hole in double wall Starting a fire on right or left side instead of center. If pointing infrared gun at shiny surface spray paint spot with black paint. This will allow you get correct reading.

In the image, white= hotter. The temp listed is just the center of the pic and is irrelevant. I now know the answer, just trying to see how quick the smart guys here can come up with that. (That sounds sarcastic, but isn't--people here like this kind of thing. I think). I'm betting someone gets it by noon at the latest.

Well a couple things
1. the left side of the chimney doesn't get the solar gain during the day like the right side, so the bricks are slightly cooler
2. clean out door is located on the left side
3.0 the liner is more towards the right side keeping the right side warmer.

Flue is offset?

Coriolis effect. If you lived in the southern hemisphere, the right side would be hotter. ;)

@Squisher wins (pretty much). There are 3 flues in that chimney. The liner goes up the left side. You'd think I would have realized it since I'm routinely on the roof, sticking a brush down the left most cap.

tmp_24208-IMG_20161121_122259-775029547.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.