I'm back!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I usually lay low on this site during the 'off' season but become regular again once cool weather finally comes to Texas. I've currently got about four cords split, half of which has been in the stacks at least two years. Even last years stacks are really dry due to the 2011 drought and 100 days of 100 plus degree temps. The main wood I have on my property is water oak and pin oak with some giant hickories, but I rarely get the hickory. I don't cut any live trees, ever.

My burn target is an overnight low of 40 or lower so I rarely burn even a cord. So basically, I have four years worth of wood stacked. I never even glance at the side of the road anymore. My scrounging days are over. Currently, due to last years drought, there are a few dead trees back in our woods, mostly smaller (ten to 12 inch) water oaks. However, there is one really large pin oak and a huge water oak that I'll probably attack soon even though I don't need it in the near future. I especially love Water Oaks because the grain is so straight and they split so easily- and burn great. The tree I have my eye on has a perfectly straight trunk that goes up about 35 feet before you get to the first branch. That trunk is a splitting dream. It's dropping big limbs but I'm sure the trunk will ooze water once I slice into it.

Looking forward to getting out the MS390 and my Huskee 35.

Cheers, everyone.

Ken in Bellville TX

Welcome back, Kenster! Have you been burning much yet this fall?

Hey Scotty. Only a couple of nights last week, then I left town for two nights. It was cold enough for fires while I was gone but my bride won't start a fire on her own. I've shown her how to tend to the stove once the fire is going and what to do if the fire gets too hot, etc. And I review that with her a couple of times each winter. But she won't start one.
Should have a few nights coming up that will warrant a fire.

Reactions: ScotO
Welcome back. I saw an older thread that you posted in the other day and figured we'd be seeing you soon.

Reactions: Kenster
Welcome back Ken. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you with those big oaks.

Yeah, B.S, but winter is my downtime. I'm on the road much of the rest of the year. I need a couple of good projects in Winter time or else my Bride will come up with some for me!

Ya, we know you are on the road Kenster. Bet it is nice being back home too! The Bride probably love it even more.

35' of limbless, perfect splitting rounds.
Makes you smile :)

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Status
Not open for further replies.