I'm bad at this...I'm stalking the pellets at Lowes. need guidance :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbieinCT

Feeling the Heat
Sep 26, 2013
Danbury, CT
Hi everyone,
I've identified the location of some somersets that will arrive sometime soon at a nearby Lowes. Last year, at a different Lowes, I was able to get to promise me 4 tons and then I called the day they arrived and paid for them.

This lowes, is a bit farther away and I can't get past Customer Service. I've called 4 different times on 4 different days (different people each time).

I ask to speak to the garden manager (that is who handled it for me last year), they won't let me through until I say why. The moment I say "wood pellets" they say: we can't help you. We are short on pellets. We don't know when we are getting them in.

I explain that I know that, but I was a specific kind and I (nicely) explain that I know they are being shipped on xxx date and that they will be delivered a few days later, I just need to speak with someone in garden department. No one lets me through to them. It's so frustrating! I don't know if I was just lucky last year, but I called multiple times to the other lowes last year and I had no problem. This year, this new lowes is stonewalling me. They are far enough away that I can't just stop everything and drive over.

Any suggestions? I thought if I could get through to the manager, they would be able to help me, like they did last year.

Thanks,
Jen

Go to your local lowes and have them call the garden center at the other lowes. That's what I did and now I have 5 tons sitting in my driveway as we speak in an undisclosed location.

Oh...I most definitely love this idea! Thank you!!

Go to your local lowes and have them call the garden center at the other lowes. That's what I did and now I have 5 tons sitting in my driveway as we speak in an undisclosed location.

quick question: when you called, what did you specifically have them ask? Just for the delivery date? Or did you ask for them to put them aside for you?
I'm going to try and have them put them aside...but that might be asking too much....

They claimed the reason they can't give a date is b/c customers get upset when they dont' come in on time. I told her I don't care when they come in. I just want to know that when they do come in, I can purchase them.

My situation was a little different. My Lowes had nothing so had them do a store search of who had them. The assoc found a location and gave me my choices and ordered them on the spot and had them delivered.

My situation was a little different. My Lowes had nothing so had them do a store search of who had them. The assoc found a location and gave me my choices and ordered them on the spot and had them delivered.
That's awesome! I'll see what I can do. Last time I was at the lowes near me, the guy was nice and I'm hoping he remembers me as the crazy new pellet stove owner from last year :) Thanks for the advice!

ask about bark mulch first... then when you have the garden guy on the line, hey, what about pellets? :)

No problem, happy hunting. The thrill of the chase is the most fun lol!!

I have to agree...last year when I stalked/hunted down the somersets, there was nothing more exciting than hearing them comfirm my purchase and then actually seeing them in the garage! I felt the same when I got an amazing deal on a weber grill from Lowes - then they messed up delivery and gave me another 10% off...and then, b/c of trouble with the pricing $100 gift card...It's been over a year and I still think of how cheap we got the grill every time I use it. Once I caught the scent of that sale...there was no stopping me. My husband said, on multiple occasions, "I'll just get out of your way and let you deal with this". I would have been mad if he screwed it up - so that was probably the best idea lol

ask about bark mulch first... then when you have the garden guy on the line, hey, what about pellets? :)

Good idea! I'm just too honest - I feel they can sense deception. Maybe I'll let my husband try first - haha

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that gave advice and encouragement! We obsessed and then stalked the Poughkeepsie Lowes effectively! We were able to score 6 tons of somersets - delivered Tuesday. They are not in my garage....just in time for the warm muggy weather! :)

not = now ?
whoops! typing too quick for my own good.
They are NOW in my garage :)

20141014_155535.jpg
IMG_20141015_112554.jpg

Somerset Pellets are made about an hour and a half from where I live. From what I understand they are good pellets. I just rolled my new Harman P68 into the house this evening. The Somersets are fairly abundant around here but TOMORROW I am going after mine. 3-4 tons. The more the better!

Hey newbieinCT, What type of dogs are those? Love the markings. We had a Catahula (leopard dog) that had a very similar coat.

newbieinCT great score. that should last you at least this year!!! My wife lets me deal with the pellets as I know the deal and don't get pushed around. :)

Reactions: newbieinCT
which lowes was selling the 'set's?, i'd drive 50 miles to get them

Somerset Pellets are made about an hour and a half from where I live. From what I understand they are good pellets. I just rolled my new Harman P68 into the house this evening. The Somersets are fairly abundant around here but TOMORROW I am going after mine. 3-4 tons. The more the better!

Hey newbieinCT, What type of dogs are those? Love the markings. We had a Catahula (leopard dog) that had a very similar coat.

hey bags,
They ARE catahoulas!! No one ever knows what they are up here in the NY/CT area - so I'm excited to find someone who knows them! Both are rescues - but the bigger guy seems to be a purebred - probably cast off by a breeder or something like that. Not sure since he came from Arkansas and there was no story for him. He's got the classic cracked glass eyes (two colors in each eye) and acts like a houla. Playful, tough and loyal. The little guy is probably a mix. He's like a catahoula mixed with something smaller - maybe even some cattle dog or terrier in him. They are both awesome...and awesome looking. Do you still have your 'houla?

Good luck with your harman - I'm sure you will love it. Especially the p68. We seriously considered it for a while! Harman and sets....you are a going to have a great winter :)

Reactions: bags
which lowes was selling the 'set's?, i'd drive 50 miles to get them
Sorry, I just saw this now. Not getting alerts for some reason...gotta figure out why.

It was the Poughkeepsie lowes but I spoke with someone there and they said they sold out within 24 hours. Not sure if any CT lowes are getting the 'sets, unfortunately. Next year, we should go in on a truck :)

btw: burned our first bag on Sunday night. It was toasty warm! Not looking forward to shoveling snow...but glad I'll have a warm house to come into this winter!
Last winter was horrible - no insulation, an old stove that didn't heat much of the house. Already, we are 300 steps ahead of where we were last year and we aren't done yet. A good stove and great pellets make a huge difference :)

Reactions: bags and stayfitz
Hey NewbieinCT,
Yes they are great dogs. Very smart. We had a male that was blueish tan, with gray and black markings. A blue. He had the blue cracked eyes also. He weighed 95lbs and was a big one. Paws were huge webbed mitts. He passed last year and my wife was crushed. He was another family member. He really latched onto her but looked out for everyone. She was his pet. Lol! Beautiful dogs.

When the kids were younger he would literally herd them around the yard. They are not common around here either And I didn't know what they were until we got ours. They are more known and popular down south in Louisiana, Alabama, Arkansas, etc; It's funny because everyone that ever saw him was intrigued and would ask what kind of mix or dog he was. I'd tell them a pure breed Catahoula and a common response was, "A Cata--What?"

I think out of all the time we saw about three people that new what he was. They are the state dog of Louisiana. Know as leopard dogs or hog dogs too. Ours got along with everything and other dogs too. He liked to heckle / play with our daughters two cats. They can be stubborn at times if they are busy with something. Many people use them on farms as working dogs. Others train them to hunt. Ours was a pet. Neat dogs!

I looked at your pic and just laughed. Yea, you know the LOOK. Smarter than you. Makes you wonder what they are thinking. Ha! They have their own website FYI if you didn't already know. Many are rescues because most need a lot of land to roam and people do not understand that. Some are fine with small yards too but in general a number of people do not realize what they are getting. Walker loved to go for rides!

NewbieinCT,
I think it's a Facebook page I'm thinking of for the houlas. Thanks also. I am loving this thing! I am very stoked about my new P68 and really enjoy this forum. Now I know I made the right choice. I need to get some pics uploaded. Experiencing technical difficulty presently. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Never had problems uploading pics before.

I have ran the beast the last two nights. It Kicks Butt! Looking forward to it tonight. It's almost like another hobby instead of a chore or work.

Right now I'm burning Pro Pellets I bought over in Indiana where I got my stove. They burn well and I like them but have no other reference for comparison on pellets. One thing for sure it beats humping firewood and that is after all the cutting, splitting, and stacking. These 40 lb bags are my new friend. EASY! I have a ton of the Pros but getting several tons of Setts tomorrow. Have a warm winter! I was going to apologized about thread jacking with the Catahoula praise and then realized it's yours anyway. Get some more stove pics up with the dogs modeling. Ha Ha Ha!

Looks to me that they have you trained! You feed them and carry pellets in for them. Open doors for them. Keep them warm. Now get back to work! Hee Hee Hee..........LMAO! Enjoy those dogs. We sure loved ours. Haven't gotten another yet but it might be in the works this coming summer. My wife teaches and can be home while she's off all summer and the kids are around too.

What strange world do all you people's Lowes stores live in? My local Lowes NEVER has pellets, but they were perfectly fine with me coming in and pre-ordering 3 tons (free delivery on 3 tons and up). I just told them I don't care when they're coming in, just let me pre-order them and let them come in on their own.

Yes, your bigger dog looks 100% Cata. Having the cracked eyes almost assures that. I am no Cata pro though. My wife knows everything about them. I also think the little one is a mix but definitely has some houla without a doubt.

They are a difficult dog to tell how pure they are without papers because they can vary in size some and have so many different characteristics and colors but at the same time easy to spot. I was almost sure yours were so that is why I asked. They are very unique dogs and not very common nor seen a lot.

Some vary with just the types of ears they have. Some are completely floppy like a lab while others stand up somewhat. There are also a few different lines of houlas from what I understand depending on exactly where they are from down there or what lineage.

Status
Not open for further replies.