I'm building a homemade boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously very well thought out!
Great fab work too!
Stuff like this is a ton of fun to build when you have all the cool tools and the skills to use 'em proper like ::-)

I got it painted this morning. It's a thin layer but it will be enough.

Now is time to reassemble and move on to the next part of the project.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Please explain how this works.

Pretty much like any basic boiler, I'd say. Fire heats the water that's surrounding it, water gets pumped through rads/heat exchangers to heat house.

Thank you for the compliments everyone.

I don't think mass production will be happening this one took me over 7 months to complete. Lol

Reactions: Wisneaky
Pretty much like any basic boiler, I'd say. Fire heats the water that's surrounding it, water gets pumped through rads/heat exchangers to heat house.
Got it. Thanks

Ill just post my install/ install pics in this thread too.

I started digging my trench for my underground lines today after work. I learned that hand digging a trench 5 feet away from a tree stump sucks. At least the roots seem to thin out after 1 foot deep. I have a small side walk to go under then up under the garage slab after that. This should be fun. Ill post pics after it's dug with the thermopex in the ground.

The boiler must become your avatar. Very cool build.

Reactions: warno
I started digging my trench over the weekend. I forgot how much hand digging a 4 feet deep trench sucks especially with tree roots in the way.

Here's a shot of my install site. The stump is coming out next week. I tried doing the whole "dig around it, cut the roots, yank it out" thing. What a nightmare that was. I have someone coming to grind it out now. Oh yeah, you may notice the orange wire sticking out of the ground, CALL BEFORE YOU DIG, that's our cable/Internet line. I thought it ran on the other side of the tree, nope.

Here's the start of my trench. I made it under the side walk after about 5 hours of digging and cutting tree roots.

I'm still hoping for Halloween to be my first fire, it's a long shot but here's to hoping.

Left to do list:

Finish trench
Put in thermopex
Back fill
Pour concrete pad
Put boiler back together
Anchor boiler on pad
Insulate boiler
Build shed around boiler
insulate shed walls
Line fire box with fire bricks and refractory
Wire everything up
Mount HXs in garage
plumb everything
Build duct work for HXs

Fill it and fire it...maybe?

I forgot how much hand digging a 4 feet deep trench sucks especially with tree roots in the way.

I tried doing the whole "dig around it, cut the roots, yank it out" thing.
I'd rent a mini for a day...two birds one stone...
I'm still hoping for Halloween to be my first fire, it's a long shot but here's to hoping.
Left to do list:
Finish trench
Put in thermopex
Back fill
Pour concrete pad
Put boiler back together
Anchor boiler on pad
Insulate boiler
Build shed around boiler
insulate shed walls
Line fire box with fire bricks and refractory
Wire everything up
Mount HXs in garage
plumb everything
Build duct work for HXs
Fill it and fire it...maybe?
Wow, hope you have some vaca time you can use!

I didn't think a mini excavater would have enough wieght to pull it up, definitely would have been nice on the trench though.

As far as vacation days go. I have used some already to finish my boiler. I do have some I can use but I don't get anymore until this time next year so I like to try and save them since the family gets sick around January/February every year.

After I made the trench up and under the garage alittle it decided to train like crazy that night. So, the next morning I woke up to this disappointment.

I pumped out as much water as I could and started working on the hole in the floor. I wanted it as close to the wall as possible, this meant going through the footing of the garage. Turns out the footing is 20" thick. Now I don't know who thought to make diamond cutting wheels for a 4 1/2" grinder or air hammers or hammer drills, but thank you very much. After about 10 hours total time, over 3 days, of drilling, cutting and hammering I finally punched through to the outside.

I still need to dig all the concert chunks out of the trench and the rest of the dirt that fell in after knocking the hole in the floor then I can finally run my lines.

I also got my stump ground out. Definitely worth the money to have someone grind that stupid thing out.

What do you have planned for your water lines? I know water infiltration into the lines is the enemy.

I got my trench cleaned out tonight and the thermopex set in. I also ran my conduits. I ran a 1.5" conduit for the main power leads and I ran a 1/2" conduit for "just in case" low voltage wires. The little conduit will remain empty right now but I may want to run sensor wires or some other low voltage later on. better to run the conduit now then kick myself later for not doing it.

Here's inside the garage right now. I plan to put a sleeve around the thermopex jacket then put concrete back around the sleeve.

Here's ouside. I got the wrong size hole saw for the 1/2" LB so it's going to just hang out with its big brother tonight. But the conduits are in the ground.

The other end of the trench.

I have also started my boiler shed back at work. I scavenged some doors of an electrical panel we were throwing out. I will be starting the walls tomorrow.

I lost a little time the last few days because the wife and my little boy were sick. Family comes first, I had to due the fatherly duty and help get everyone heathy again.

I got into work 2 hours early this morning to get more done on the shed. The Wall frames are built and I stood everything up together. Now I'm ready for the roof frame.

WOW.. Thats all I have to say. Your doing what would take many years to do for most folks. Good job..

Status
Not open for further replies.