I'M BURNING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrounged some wood for the curb at the tennis courts. Small stuff just right for last nights "chase the chill out" fire. I did throw in a few two year old splits at 11 pm to have it nice and toasty this morning . Had coals for a restart. But I'll just-let it cool and restart tonight. It still amazes me to see a secondary burn on a small pile of sticks.

peer presure ;)

Attachments

• ff (Small).jpg
    ff (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 310
Stevebass4 said:
peer presure ;)

ff.jpg

Yep. It is that time of year. Soon the "My stove can whip your stove." and cat versus non-cat and my wood beats your wood and all of the rest will begin.

Welcome to burning season 2007/2008 hearth.com folks.

And once again, thanks to Craig and Martha for hosting a place for burners of all ilks to live, learn and hang-out. It was never this much fun all of those years being the only stove nut that I knew. And this place has been an excellent education as well as entertainment.

I stacked a lil wood out on the porch, and I'm noticing its not even cold in here. Ah still 70 degrees inside here, Ah screwit, I ain't starting yet.
Nope, ain't gonna do it yet. It was a lil chilly this morn. Got up, no heat run yet. And it was 65 degrees. Was prolly in the 30's outside overnight. I am still trying to get used to a house with good insulation. Never had that before. ALthough, it is just a tad tempting to see a nice teenie weenie toasty fire going. Decisions, decisions.
:)

Hogwildz said:
I stacked a lil wood out on the porch, and I'm noticing its not even cold in here. Ah still 70 degrees inside here, Ah screwit, I ain't starting yet.
Nope, ain't gonna do it yet. It was a lil chilly this morn. Got up, no heat run yet. And it was 65 degrees. Was prolly in the 30's outside overnight. I am still trying to get used to a house with good insulation. Never had that before. ALthough, it is just a tad tempting to see a nice teenie weenie toasty fire going. Decisions, decisions.
:)

Light that sucker up. Give that International wood hauler a reason to live.

Okay, I broke down.......
Borrowed a couple fuel rods from the nuker plant for the first burn of the season :)

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 498
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 454
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 418
Hogwildz..........hows about a mini fire............you know, just to test the pipes, stove etc.........!!'

Do it man !

You don't want to be last do you ?

Everyone else is ! %-P

Edit ! Thats not a mini !!!!!!

Robbie ;-)

You da man Hog. No screwing around with little fires. This be a Summit.

Start me up

Once ya start me up I never stop, never stop, never stop, never stop

You make an oak log fry

You make an oak log fry

Ahhh start me up

LMAO, now I am sweating my arse off, started small, and just could not stop myself.
Ok just a couple more pcs of oak. ;)

1 split is to much....1000 is never enough.

You guys crack me up. Some of you, if your not carefull, will be out of wood by December. Now that I got that first fire out of my system I feel much better and can wait til we get some real cold weather. Oh, wait I still have my fireplace and pellet basket to play with. :lol:

Hogwildz, I don't want to sound like a dummy but is that a normal fire? I have never seem anything like that kind of a burn. what kind of temps were you getting? Thanks!

Don

Corie said:
Fire? Shoot, Hogz lives right by the nuclear power plant. His logs glow like that before he lights them.

Yeah, why do you think Berwick High School has so many national championships in football? It really helps when your offensive line all has 4 arms! ;)

I'll admit I fired up a small fire over the weekend, but I can blame it on the need to finish curing the furnace cement I used to re-seal the join between my liner and insert.

I only burned a couple smaller splits, but realized later as I was watching my fire die down that I had forgotten to bring in sheets of slate pieces (removed during warmer months) I use to extend my hearth and meet codes.

Doh!

Gibbonboy said:
Corie said:
Fire? Shoot, Hogz lives right by the nuclear power plant. His logs glow like that before he lights them.

Yeah, why do you think Berwick High School has so many national championships in football? It really helps when your offensive line all has 4 arms! ;)

Isn't that the truth! I remember playing their JV team my soph. year of high school and getting pummeled. After the game we got back on the bus and the coach said "don't feel bad boys, they could have beaten our varsity team."

I've still got my Earth Stove out of the fireplace, re-doing the living room. I've stripped the brick surround (was painted white) and repainting the whole room. The War Department will probably make me redo the tile hearth board as well, so that matches the new paint. Also have to inspect the liners, should be fine since they've only been used about a month at most, and I brushed them at the end of last season. Now it's going to be warmer the rest of the week, so I can maybe finish all my projects before it gets cold again.

Mrs. Gibbon wanted me to fire the big furnace, but don't feel like burning that much wood right now because it got down to 60 in the house once.

I ran my first small test fire of the season last night, it wasn't the coldest night in the week (about 50) but I finally got around to installing both blowers in the back where I think they belong. Such a pain keeping the blower motors from vibrating the thin sheet-metal outer walls of the ZC enclosure, as there's no actual mounting hardware anywhere. The good news - wood still burns. More at 11.

Started my first burn today in my downstairs Englander 13NCL today. I didn't take pictures but my wife wanted the house warmed up as it was about 66 degrees in the house. I humored her by starting a fire on my lunch break. I have a feeling in about 20-30 days we'll be on a continuous burn.

Hey Corie & Mike, can I make a suggestion for your 13NC series stoves, make the door handle adjustable somehow. Mine loosens up and I have a hard time getting it to latch right, I like the stove but hate how the door handle is not adjustable.

N6CRV said:
Hogwildz, I don't want to sound like a dummy but is that a normal fire? I have never seem anything like that kind of a burn. what kind of temps were you getting? Thanks!

Don

That my friend, is the Beast in normal action. Yes it is a typical fire when I am getting her nice and charred before cutting it back. Keep in mind theres some serious secondary burn going on there. She was arounf 550 at that point. I do have a feeling its time to adjust the door again. After putting the dry oak in, she snuck up to about 700, but eventually sat back at 600. The Beast just seems to love hanging at about 600 with a real load in her. If I cut her back sooner, I can keep her lower.
The door latch did seem a lil looser than normal, so I will be adjusting her soon. I think the gasket was a lil wooped from the start, fluffed and adjusted last year, will do the same this year. If need be, I will install a new gasket on the door.

Corie said:

Heck I don't even have to light them, they light themselves :)
And Yes it is Berwick Bulldog season again. The town has that crap everywhere. I ain't much into HS football. Can't tell the town folks that, they would lynch me.
I just stick to my seemingly lackluster Eagles, for yet another let down year it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.