I'm chomping at the bit.................anyone else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
muncybob said:
Excuse the horse phrase(yes, we have them)......but with all the ice and snow on the ground for what seems like an eternity here I can't wait to get back into the woods with my tractor and saw. Our 2nd heating season with the wood boiler and must say one of the best things we've ever done!

I envy those that can access their scrounging areas. I read somewhere that we are gaining about 5 minutes/day of daylight now and I know changing the clocks is coming soon. I guess I have cabin fever. Normally this time of year I'm drooling over my seed catalogs but now I also just want to get out there and run my saw!

With the warmup this week I'm hoping we lose enough snow that I can plow my way back in and grab some Cherry.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0758.jpg
    100_0758.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_0759.jpg
    100_0759.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 185
Finally had the time to walk the woods looking for blow downs after a VERY windy weekend. Was really enjoying the lack of ice on the ground....walked in the door and was greeted by weatherman saying 6" to 12" expected tonight/Monday...CRAP!!! I knew it was too early to get my hopes up but still I did...what a let down...gotta THINK SPRING people!
At least my sea lot of good drying wind yesterday...blew the roofing paper off our dog house.

muncybob said:
Finally had the time to walk the woods looking for blow downs after a VERY windy weekend. Was really enjoying the lack of ice on the ground....walked in the door and was greeted by weatherman saying 6" to 12" expected tonight/Monday...CRAP!!! I knew it was too early to get my hopes up but still I did...what a let down...gotta THINK SPRING people!
At least my sea lot of good drying wind yesterday...blew the roofing paper off our dog house.

We had some strong winds on Friday & Saturday so this coming weekend I'll be heading back in so I can see if we have any blow down.

We'll still get some storms but spring is just around the corner.

Zap

The warm spell took the snow down to easy walking in the woods here but Friday was windy and only was able to cut some downed stuff and even then had a tree fall on my tractor. Sat. my grandson and I was able to get out and cut up one bucket load and pulled up 4 logs and then something else came up and couldn't get back out there. Today I've got 12in of fresh heavy snow and will spend the day blowing snow for every one. Looks like it will be awhile before I make it back out there. I was really getting pumped up when I could see that bare ground but within a couple hrs yesterday we aready had 4in and it just kepted coming. For a couple days I had forgot it was Michigan.
leaddog

Some unusually low 'Sierra cement' tore up quite a few of the trees here last week, in particular, a number of California Live Oaks. The ones that fell across roads get cut up by the county and left on the side of the road for anyone to pick up. By the time I get off work, I have enough daylight to buck, load, and unload a single truckload. There's still too much snow at my place to process the wood further, but all the free live oak I can get will probably amount to two years' worth of fuel.

muncybob said:
Excuse the horse phrase(yes, we have them)......but with all the ice and snow on the ground for what seems like an eternity here I can't wait to get back into the woods with my tractor and saw. Our 2nd heating season with the wood boiler and must say one of the best things we've ever done!

I envy those that can access their scrounging areas. I read somewhere that we are gaining about 5 minutes/day of daylight now and I know changing the clocks is coming soon. I guess I have cabin fever. Normally this time of year I'm drooling over my seed catalogs but now I also just want to get out there and run my saw!

Looks like they're calling for 6-10 inches of snow starting on Thursday and Friday. Looks like the woodlands might be off limits for a while longer.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.