I'm done...shut it down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
After an 83* day yesterday it will be down in the mid 30's tonight...and that will be my last fire of the season.

Spring is here...leaves and flowers and green...all that stuff. I refuse to burn any more wood unless I'm making dinner. \

5 cord lighter in the woodpile than I was in November. Time to get cutting...want to be at 20 cord by the time the snow flies again....so 7 cord to cut.

You Must be deep south Indiana?

Not really...central. It was definitely warm...truck thermometer said 83 around 6PM.

87 here yesterday,set new record.By 10pm it was 49 with 50 mph NW gusts,heavy lightning & marble sized hail over 2 county area.47 with 32 windchill today,small fire to take the chill off.Probably about my last one too,indoors anyway.

lukem said:
Not really...central. It was definitely warm...truck thermometer said 83 around 6PM.

Didnt realize it was that warm.

smokinjay said:
You Must be deep south Indiana?
We hit the hit 70's, maybe low 80's here, and we're not too far south of Indy.

Had a 79 degree day a few weeks ago too...

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Didnt realize it was that warm.
It was that warm in his truck, anyway. :lol:
79 here in the "deep south" yesterday. Your house must hold heat better than mine, lukem. It's going down to 35* here tonight, so I'll be crankin' heat. Several 70/50 days coming up, so stove will rest.
Sawed and split a little on that Black Oak. WOOT! Branches smaller than 8" were already down to 14-16%. Very encouraging.
Wasn't crankin' out splits at Jay/MM speed; 7 hrs. sleep in two days had me moving at a leisurely pace. I did some bucking and a lot of moisture testing.Instead of four cd. more like a fourth cd.
:lol:
The woods is getting a definite green cast to it. Bushes leafing out, Cherry and Redbud blooming. Gotta get the big saw running and get some serious wood!

It is about 50f by day and about 40f by night, so still a bit cool to shut it down, but the stove is only lit about 4-30 pm every day to cook on, and we just burn small stuff now.

The trees are all bursting with new life, and it's an easy time to spot any standing dead ones I missed during winter.

After a great Sunday (50-ish and brisk) it hit mid 80s today - - ppffftt. I'm done too. Now if you all will excuse me, I need to go sneeze for the next 6 weeks.

Archie said:
After a great Sunday (50-ish and brisk) it hit mid 80s today - - ppffftt. I'm done too. Now if you all will excuse me, I need to go sneeze for the next 6 weeks.

See ya next fall................................................

87 today with 40 mile an hour gusts all day. Going down to low thirties tomorrow night after the big thunderstorms tonight so probably not through yet. Sure ready to be though.

Damn.....I'm glad because we are finally seeing highs in the mid 40's........Cheers!

Spring is finally here with a few last gasps of winter(in the 20's tonight). Got into the 60's yesterday and had a nice thunderstorm display last evening as a cold front moved thru. Last year it was a 50-50 chance I would still have hot coals in the boiler come wake up time but our wood is much drier this year and so far so good.

I'm SOOOO looking forward to some serious seat time at the outside fire pit or on the deck with a cold one in hand!

Really simple gauge of when it is time to stop moving wood into the house area- when a Wolf Spider shows up on the floor! I hate spiders. This one was about 2 inches diameter. I'm done.

Yup, I mowed the grass and burnt may last piece of dry wood last night.....I'm done. At least inside. Now I have an outdoor fireplace to build.

mywaynow said:
Really simple gauge of when it is time to stop moving wood into the house area- when a Wolf Spider shows up on the floor! I hate spiders. This one was about 2 inches diameter. I'm done.
Oh, a small one, huh? That's probably big enough if you don't like 'em... :)

Give me snakes and mice all day. One spider bigger than my finger nail and I'm on the chair with hair standing straight up!

I'll register with two or three arm loads left and one energy/ presto log. It is in the low 50's daytime and 30's at night... The rain has been heavy for weeks now so it feels cooler than it really is. I could go another 1/2 cord...

Archie said:
Well, I lied. 80s yesterday, 50s today and going to the 30s tonight. Good news is...got wood.

+1 Cold and rainy, there"s smoke in the air.

I am hoping this is it, but got cold and wet here. Supposed to get in the 60s the rest of the week.

WOW!!!! And to think we were happy when we hit 45 degrees! 80's might feel a bit uncomfortable at this time of year.....but I'd like to try it out anyway.

Archie said:
Well, I lied. 80s yesterday, 50s today and going to the 30s tonight. Good news is...got wood.

I wondered about your post. I was looking at the forecast for today and tonight when I read it. I am just gonna kick the space heaters and hang on tonight.

lukem said:
After an 83* day yesterday it will be down in the mid 30's tonight...and that will be my last fire of the season.

Spring is here...leaves and flowers and green...all that stuff. I refuse to burn any more wood unless I'm making dinner.

5 cord lighter in the woodpile than I was in November. Time to get cutting...want to be at 20 cord by the time the snow flies again....so 7 cord to cut.

Snowing at this time plus going down around 17 tonight so that beech will come in handy for that overnight burn. :coolgrin:

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.