im done with pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
please explain to me HOW a chimney fire is possible with coal fired appliance? flu temperatures normally run at less then 200 degrees. exhaust gases are drawn through the bottom of the stove underneath the fire grate, no flames or sparks WILL ever touch the black stove pipe or chimney. also there is absolutely NO creosote, creosote is a byproduct of burning wood. so with no creosote, not enough heat for combustion of the combustion by-products and no sparks i dont see how it is possible.
Well some coal appliances normally run at 200 degrees some allot higher. And some pull the exhaust from the bottom some dont. There are lots of variables

Not true. As I firefighter, in central PA, I can tell you that statement is WRONG!

Maybe he worded it wrong saying coal exhaust wont heat up a chimney. But in a creosote free chimney , burning "anthracite" coal, please explain how you would ignite fly ash???
You would have more luck mixing oil and water!!

Maybe he worded it wrong saying coal exhaust wont heat up a chimney. But in a creosote free chimney , burning "anthracite" coal, please explain how you would ignite fly ash???
You would have more luck mixing oil and water!!

fly ash simply wont burn. i cleaned my chimney before i installed the stove, very little if any creosote left in that chimney. fly ash simply will not burn

ad356,

You can exhaust flames/Ignited gases into a chimney. More with a handfed than a stoker like you have, but we are both right. You cant have a chimney fire burning anthracite unless there was creosote present.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Holy hell, how does someone burn 7 tons in a 1500sq house? I have a 1800 single floor house that I consider poorly insulated and I only burn 4-5 tons a season.

i do not know but that thing would really chew up pellets. it was my only source of heat and WE had some of the worst weather last winter, -10, -20 for weeks on end. it was horrid. constant snow every day it seemed. one of things i really did like about that stove in mild weather it would still burn a bag per day, even if the stove never went about idle. my home is old 1895 farmhouse plank construction. i have upgraded windows, walls that were re-insulated, new front and rear doors. i need to get storm doors. anyways my coal stove has been burning since thursday evening and i have yet to add anything yet. if i would measure it out in 50 lb bags i have burned the equivalent of less then 2 bags in 3 days. it has been cold out as a cold front has been going through so the stove has been running in demand mode quite a bit at night. 2 bags worth in 3 FULL days not bad, im not complaining. i probably would have burned 4 bags or more if i was still burning pellets. i have bulk coal so i would say there is probably 30 lbs left in the stove. outside temp today barely got above 50. this thing so far is efficient

The fly ash wont but the house on the other side of the chimney can

one of things i really did like about that stove in mild weather it would still burn a bag per day,
then it wasnt set up right in mild weather it shouldn't use that much. But if you like the coal better that is great i am glad it works well for you.

I And wood that is being burned properly isnt bad to be around at all.

That might depend on how you define 'bad'.
EPAStoves.jpg

The fly ash wont but the house on the other side of the chimney can

Can you ever admit when you are wrong? Which you are quite often I might add.
How the hell is the house going to catch fire with no chance of a chimney fire and the very low temp of exhaust gas anthracite produces???

And before you say it..
The occasional ingnition of coal gas is near the stove and snuffs out well before exiting the chimney and is not hot enough to breach a sound chimney!!

Clearly you will never admit to being wrong, however, I have seen chimneys completely blocked in a coal fired appliance. There are any number of reasons for thi. I have a hand fired coal stove and still clean it EVERY year. And, indeed, there are soot/creosote deposits present EVERY year. Call it what you will, but any fossil fuel burning appliance will, eventually, clog. Even "clean" NG leaves deposits that, if uncared for, will be problematic.

Clearly you will never admit to being wrong, however, I have seen chimneys completely blocked in a coal fired appliance. There are any number of reasons for thi. I have a hand fired coal stove and still clean it EVERY year. And, indeed, there are soot/creosote deposits present EVERY year. Call it what you will, but any fossil fuel burning appliance will, eventually, clog. Even "clean" NG leaves deposits that, if uncared for, will be problematic.

Time to get your facts straight!!
A clogged chimney and a chimney fire are not the same.

And it is a known fact anthracite coal doesnt, cant, wont etc etc produce creasote Totally impossible!!
Creosote is a by product of burning wood.
You are totally wrong and ignorant of the burning of anthracite! Sorry but true...

Status
Not open for further replies.