I'm done.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has been leaving the front door (it has a screened door) open during the day. On those cooler days I can hear the boiler kick on...frustrating to say the least.

K

I've got mine well trained :p , there is so much pollin out now we keep it all closed up no matter what the temp is until later in the season........then it's too warm. Having the wood stove in the LR makes shoulder season nice, Aspen, 2x4's, cardboard, and bark, nice quick clean heat.

TS

I needed to make some hot water last night, but since it was 66 in the house and damp with all the rain lately, we cranked the heat up to 70.

I'm trying to get an idea of how long I can go between fires for dhw only, but I've had to turn the heat on in our basement family room at least once every batch since the real "heating season" ended. Maybe by mid June I'll have a better idea.

Hey,

Thanks for figuring that out for me. What's really interesting is that I calculated I was burning about 1/2 gallon of #2/day for dhw over the last couple summers.

My pipes between the boiler and storage aren't insulated yet, so I might be able to improve some.
I use to burn oil...1/ gallon a day? wow maybe look into a heat pump HW heater...I love mine()

If the basement humidity is kept between 30-40% during summer, do you guys see any need to run a lamp in the firebox and/or run a lamp for a while then seal off the flue to prevent moisture. Didn't do anything last summer and don't think I saw any sign of condensation or rust off season.

If the basement humidity is kept between 30-40% during summer, do you guys see any need to run a lamp in the firebox and/or run a lamp for a while then seal off the flue to prevent moisture. Didn't do anything last summer and don't think I saw any sign of condensation or rust off season.

I'd say if you don't see any condensation, don't worry about it. Even if the humidity is high, as long as the boiler temp is the same or slightly warmer (light bulb) you will not have water vapor condense onto the steel.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.