1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I'm done!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by fireview2788, Oct 7, 2012.

1. fireview2788

fireview2788 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    :mad:, I refuse to split any more wood until spring!! I am so sick of spending my time splitting instead of hunting or running. I figure since August 17 I've split about 5 cords and I am simply burned out. I figure I'm into 2015-2016 with my stacks and there is not reason to spend anymore time doing it.

Has anyone else ever gotten to that point? My friends don't believe me but I'M DONE.

fv
    smokinj and zap like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Nothing wrong with taking a break if your ahead. i'd chill out and go camping.:)
    fireview2788 likes this.
  3. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    Take a break and enjoy other things, we all need a break once in awhile.
    ScotO and fireview2788 like this.
  4. Beardog

Beardog Member

Loc:
    NW CT
    I get there every year. It's nice when the itch to go out cutting comes back. Usually comes around this time of year. Being a couple years ahead let's you cut on your own terms.
  5. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I aggree, take a break to pursue other things. I want nothing to do with wood in the warm months. But when fall arrives, I'm all about it. But in the fall I also love hiking, fishing, boating, hunting too. Your ahead, so enjoy doing other stuff. Be well
    etiger2007 likes this.
  6. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    You sound far enough ahead.....take a break, otherwise you'll take the fun out of wood burning all together....but I'd take bets, you'll still spot a downed tree a mile away;)
  7. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Sounds like you got a good workout since August, now you can cut and split at a relaxed pace. By all means go hunting, I am enjoying that myself right now. I can't help but spotting some future trees to cut up while I'm hunting.
  8. barn burner

barn burner Member

Loc:
    Southern WV
    I keep sayin' that myself. Then a week or 2 goes by and I find myself cutting, splitting or just tinkering with my chainsaw without even realizing it.
    onetracker, Gark and scotvl like this.
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Oh yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was running 10-12 cords a year! :eek: This year the leupold on target. ==c
  10. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Funny, I reckon I've probably split enough for 2015/16........
    But give it a while, a tree will fall over, and I'll be out there dragging it back..........;)
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Not in Nov.........:p I got 12 cords and one of the new fangdangled epa'ers stoves.I been burning for about two weeks now maybe an 1/8 cord. Just to fire my furance is an 1/8 th cord.;)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    I'm new, but I know during the summer months I could care less about wood cutting/splitting and it was a chore to motivate myself to do any of it.
  13. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    There ya go! You can just work as the mood strikes you, leaving plenty of time for the other stuff, and you can still maintain your supply. No need to mess with the wood if you don't feel like it; Your wood will be dry, even if it's all Oak. You should still inspect your stacks periodically, just to be safe. :cool:
    fireview2788 likes this.
  14. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    When you're that far ahead there is no need to keep working if it isn't fun. I bet you'll get the urge to split again before you actually need to split.
  15. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Sh!t. If you are that far ahead you could wait until next fall to get started on more wood. I like to do my cutting/splitting/stacking in the fall and winter. I am getting ready to get started again in a week or two. I learned my lesson before about cutting in the heat and bugs. That won't happen again. Take a break fireview. Good work done.
    barn burner likes this.
  16. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    When it gets to be too much, take a break.
    The addiction will return, then you'll feel good & get after it then.

Good job getting ahead.
    PS: careful of the withdraws, you'll be seeing logs, trees & stacks of wood. Try to ignore them LOL :)
  17. ScotO

ScotO Guest

We cut and split like mad this past spring and summer. I haven't done any tree jobs since the middle of August to work full time on this house project. We've got a TON of tree jobs lined up for the winter. Like the others said, nothing wrong with getting away from it for a while. If you DON'T get away from it once in a while, you'll start to hate doing it.
  18. fireview2788

fireview2788 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Ohio

Trust me, I see woodpiles everywhere! I think, "OHHHH, I should grab that one." Then I think, "You're a FREAKING IDIOT! The answer is NO!!!!" >>

fv
  19. DeerHunter

DeerHunter Member

Loc:
    Adirondacks, NY
    Everything in moderation...even hunting <gasp!> I imagine if I hunted every day, it might not be fun anymore either.
  20. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Especially if you were not getting paid for it Deer Hunter. Then you could not buy new guns and equipment. ;lol
  21. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Naaaw. I don't think I could EVER get tired of hunting!!
  22. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

Not sure about getting to that point but I certainly would not want to be splitting wood when hunting season is here. So quit and go hunting!
    etiger2007, smokinj and ScotO like this.