Im Freezing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just in a stove store checking out the Merrimack for the heck of it , they had it full blast and the blower was kicking out some major heat , felt like it was blowing strong too. How long has this stove been installed? Has the blower performed better earlier? Could the blower be dirty and just need a cleaning?

My fan sucks the air in from the bottom, and blows it back out around the top and two sides....mostly the two sides.....if I didn't have a block off plate blocking the opening in the chimney where the liner goes, I would imagine a lot of it would just bolw right up and out of the house

Since he has a liner there must be a block off plate at the top of his chimney...least you would hope,unless it blew off?
That said one down low would sure help you would think..and the roxul would be of benefit.
Blower could be suspect also.

Since he has a liner there must be a block off plate at the top of his chimney...least you would hope,unless it blew off?
That said one down low would sure help you would think..and the roxul would be of benefit.
definite benefit of a block off plate at the bottom of the chimney

I was just in a stove store checking out the Merrimack for the heck of it , they had it full blast and the blower was kicking out some major heat , felt like it was blowing strong too. How long has this stove been installed? Has the blower performed better earlier? Could the blower be dirty and just need a cleaning?
Wow, the air coming from mine could not in any way be classified as strong. The stove was installed this September, and no the blower has never worked better than it is right now. thanks so much for the info.
So I need insulation, and a thermometer, but I assume nothing can really be done about the blower until I get in touch with the dealer.

The other control is the Automatic setback control..is it functioning properly? And I think I woul dhave the place you bought it come out and take a look at that fan, sure does not sound like it's working right.

"The automatic setback air control is used when starting or
reviving a fire and provides an increased flow of combustion
air to the fire until the firebox is sufficiently heated. This air
supply automatically resets to the desired air setting, taking
the guesswork out of operating the stove.
Figure 9 shows the automatic setback control. Move the
primary air control lever all the way to the left. Push the
primary control about one more inch to the left to open the
air shutter (the lever will spring back automatically when
released). The shutter will remain open only if the stove is
below its proper operating temperature. Once open, the
primary air control lever may be adjusted to any desired
position. Once the stove heats up to its proper operating
temperature, you will here a clicking sound confirming the
shutter has closed. This returns the stove to the output
setting of the primary air control.
This feature is primarily intended for reloading the stove
when lower air settings (low heat output) are desired, but
it is also useful any time the firebox is too cool for proper
combustion or when freshly added wood does not ignite
readily.
For maximum efficiency and performance, the Merrimack
insert should always have visible flames in newly added
wood, either within the fuel pile or near the roof of the
firebox. Wood moisture, piece size, draft, weather and
firebox temperature will all have an effect on how quickly
flaming occurs. The automatic setback air control is a
convenient feature allowing more user flexibility and ease
of operation"

I guess there is the possibility of this shutter not functioning properly.........

Reactions: pen
The other control is the Automatic setback control..is it functioning properly? And I think I woul dhave the place you bought it come out and take a look at that fan, sure does not sound like it's working right.

"The automatic setback air control is used when starting or
reviving a fire and provides an increased flow of combustion
air to the fire until the firebox is sufficiently heated. This air
supply automatically resets to the desired air setting, taking
the guesswork out of operating the stove.
Figure 9 shows the automatic setback control. Move the
primary air control lever all the way to the left. Push the
primary control about one more inch to the left to open the
air shutter (the lever will spring back automatically when
released). The shutter will remain open only if the stove is
below its proper operating temperature. Once open, the
primary air control lever may be adjusted to any desired
position. Once the stove heats up to its proper operating
temperature, you will here a clicking sound confirming the
shutter has closed. This returns the stove to the output
setting of the primary air control.
This feature is primarily intended for reloading the stove
when lower air settings (low heat output) are desired, but
it is also useful any time the firebox is too cool for proper
combustion or when freshly added wood does not ignite
readily.
For maximum efficiency and performance, the Merrimack
insert should always have visible flames in newly added
wood, either within the fuel pile or near the roof of the
firebox. Wood moisture, piece size, draft, weather and
firebox temperature will all have an effect on how quickly
flaming occurs. The automatic setback air control is a
convenient feature allowing more user flexibility and ease
of operation"

I guess there is the possibility of this shutter not functioning properly.........

I have been doing it manually, wide open when starting or reloading,almost shut when fire going good, and then wide open again when I wanna burn down the coals.

I'd like to see some pics of what the fire looks like when the stove is "cruising." Or even better, a video?

Also, is your glass staying clean?

I'm certainly surprised in how little air you have coming from the blower. Something is definitely amiss. When installing, is there anyway to block air inlets for the blower???

Does the blower sound like it is running fast?

pen

I'd like to see some pics of what the fire looks like when the stove is "cruising." Or even better, a video?

Also, is your glass staying clean?

I'm certainly surprised in how little air you have coming from the blower. Something is definitely amiss. When installing, is there anyway to block air inlets for the blower???

Does the blower sound like it is running fast?

pen
the glass is foggy but not black. I will try to get a picture up today for sure. as for blocking inlets for the blower, I don't know that answer. Blower doesn't sound particularly loud or fast, but I can hear it doing something.

Foggy white is fine and normal, black build-up would indicate an issue.

I'm almost wondering if it's a bum blower or for some reason has a restriction or is sucking cold air from an ash dump or some crazy thing. Sounds like it should be pushing more air. Hmm. Tough one.

Is the blower an "autopilot" deal that runs faster the hotter the stove gets? If so, is there a manual override? I would seriously look into the fan issue and make sure it is working at all. The LITTLE are moving your TP could be just convection and the actual fan is not running at all. My friend has an insert and his blower fan can be felt from the couch(10' away) Hot air or cool if the fire is low.

That and fix the block off issue. Even with poor wood(which it sounds like is not a big issue based on your glass) you should be feeling heat and wind coming out of there.

As mentioned, if the fan actually does work look for a blockage at the intake or otherwise. The fan should move a LOT more air - cold or hot!

In the mean time its worth a shot to pull the blower off and see if you can spot anything obvious.

it sounds to me like a lot of the problem is a blower problem. if you seal the block off plate with the insulation, that should negate a lot of the heat being pulled back. however, if your blower ain't blowing, none is getting in there in the first place. just wondering, was it an add on or did it come with the stove? according to Beer Belly, that tissue should be blowing out a lot of air. maybe its dirty, clogged or not aligned right....just guessing as i'm not familiar with the stove or blower.

Have you tried playing with the blower control, mine is a box in the middle of the power cord has a reostat and a manual overide switch. I would see where your controls are and play with them and then if you don't hear or feal any difference in the air movement then contact your dealer.

Wow, the air coming from mine could not in any way be classified as strong. The stove was installed this September, and no the blower has never worked better than it is right now. thanks so much for the info.
So I need insulation, and a thermometer, but I assume nothing can really be done about the blower until I get in touch with the dealer.
Sounds like you had somebody install it for you. Have you asked them these questions? If the blower is bad, which it obviously sounds like it is, they should be the one fixing it, not you. At the same time you should tell them you seem to have a major heat loss around the insert and up the old chimney past the flue, and would they please install a block off plate like they should have in the first place.
Show them this thread if they need convincing.

It could be the fan blade is loose. Remove the blower. Clean, then hold the motor shaft and see if the blower blades can spin. If so, the set screw that holds it on the motor shaft is loose and needs tightening.

Last edited:
It could be the fan is loose. Remove the blower. Clean, then hold the motor shaft and see if the blower blades can spin. If so, the set screw that holds it on the motor shaft is loose and needs tightening.
I am in the middle of burning and taking pics to post like requested, and Im not sure that I should take it apart before the installer/dealer looks at it.

Do you have a small fan that you can point at the bottom blower intake grille? That may help temporarily.

I am in the middle of burning and taking pics to post like requested, and Im not sure that I should take it apart before the installer/dealer looks at it.
I'm a avid do it yourself-er, but since you didn't install this yourself and it is obviously covered by some sort of warranty, you need to give them a chance to get it working properly for you. Your dealer/installer should be standing behind their product. Besides, if you start taking things apart, they could start claiming you wrecked it yourself.

8EC9A6E6-4CC1-470E-901A-669911191D99-576-000000992E7F63F4_zps9ebc3475.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.