Im Freezing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That stove is hot and is doing what it should as far as the fire box, definately looks like a blower problem. Like others said contact whoever installed it to get it right, I love that insert.

Nothing wrong with that burn. Did you just clean the glass? The room the stove is in (should) be nice and warm...... (Should be).
Inserts are notoriously poor at outputting the heat they generate without the use of an air blower. If you are losing heat up the chimney because of a lack of block off plate it will make it that much worse.

Key issues I see are blower, and block off plate (or Roxul stuffing). (or both)

Last edited:
Reactions: etiger2007
574F56DC-8780-4E00-8254-E9F9E875E6B1-576-0000009D09F857B2_zps15250ec7.mp4

Nothing wrong with that burn. Did you just clean the glass? The room the stove is in (should) be nice and warm...... (Should be).
Inserts are notoriously poor an outputting the heat they generate without the use of an air blower. If you are losing heat up the chimney because of a lack of block off plate it will make it that much worse.

Key issues I see are blower and block off plate (or Roxul stuffing).

Yes I did just clean glass for pics, but like I said, they get foggy, but not black.
Thanks for advice man, gonna have to get the dealer over here.

That is a vigorous fire. It looks like it could even have less air.

Talk with your dealer about installing a damper sealing block off plate if this is an exterior wall chimney.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/
And have them pull the blower. It sounds like the blade is free spinning. In the meantime supplement the blower with a table fan pointed at the grille below the firebox.

That is a vigorous fire. It looks like it could even have less air.

Talk with your dealer about installing a damper sealing block off plate if this is an exterior wall chimney.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/
And have them pull the blower. It sounds like the blade is free spinning. In the meantime supplement the blower with a table fan pointed at the grille below the firebox.
I put fan near bottom and there is more air pushing from the top for sure.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Hope that helps until this cold snap breaks and the dealer can show up.

Not sure, the problem could be as simple as a loose shaft screw. Hope so.

This site rocks. The man puts up a post about a stove issue and within a few hours, people have helped zero in on the problem. The handle of the original poster is FDNY: if that is your occupation, thank you for your service.

This site rocks. The man puts up a post about a stove issue and within a few hours, people have helped zero in on the problem. The handle of the original poster is FDNY: if that is your occupation, thank you for your service.

yeah gotta love it, and no need for the thanks I would my job for free.
Also, the burn Im doing right now seems to be lasting much longer than normal, is it due to the fan I put in front? the only other thing I think it could be is that I pulled the air flow lever completely to the left. I usually just pull it until I feel some resistance and stop. did I activate the automatic setting or something? because I don't really understand that feature completely, and have still been manually moving it I usually do, but like I said the burn is lasting longer which is nice.

I am having the same problem as you FDNY. Last night was -2 outside, my pellet stove broke down and for first time had to rely solely on my Merrimack. The house did not get past 50, we froze last night!!! No way should this be happening with this stove!! I called installer and he said change the wood, to more seasoned wood. I asked about the airflow coming out and he said was normal......After reading this thread, it sounds like this is NOT normal and I should feel air blowing!

I am having the same problem as you FDNY. Last night was -2 outside, my pellet stove broke down and for first time had to rely solely on my Merrimack. The house did not get past 50, we froze last night!!! No way should this be happening with this stove!! I called installer and he said change the wood, to more seasoned wood. I asked about the airflow coming out and he said was normal......After reading this thread, it sounds like this is NOT normal and I should feel air blowing!
Yeah, I went to see the dealer today and he had a few units going, and I felt what type of air should be pushing out. It is the strength of an air conditioner, which I am not getting. Hes gonna look at it monday.

So I have the merrimack and I have been having this issue since I bought it brand new. I just thought it was me but it struggles to keep the room warm sometimes and I have good wood. Seems the blower is weak. Did you ever really resolve this issue?

Closing this old one Josey. Start a new thread with your problem. The OP must have found their answer. Hasns't been back since they posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.